• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Non-for-Profit?

Would a martial arts academy be able to be set up and run in such a way that it could qualify for non-for-profit status? Any owners or business-savvy people here that would know?

Sunrunner

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'm guessing the school couldn't be for profit(bad joke #8)

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

It's a matter of how you incorporate your business. When I helped set up a dance academy, we had to follow some procedural things, as far as board of directors, by-laws, and things like that. For your 401C3, which is your tax free status, it can take a while. You need to be up and runnning, you need to have a budget in place, you need to keep very carful track of your board meeting minutes.... You do not need your 401C3, in order to incorporate as a Non-profit.

You should check with a lwayer, if you really want to do it right. There are some good books on the subject too. You do not need a lawyer to file the paperwork, but it may be worth it, since they are familiar with all of the law reagarding it.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Well, you can try. I just remember these words of wisdom one of my instructors used to say to me:

"How do you make a small fortune teaching martial arts?"

"Start with a large fortune."

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Well, you can try. I just remember these words of wisdom one of my instructors used to say to me:

"How do you make a small fortune teaching martial arts?"

"Start with a large fortune."

I like that quote lol

Been there-done that

I think the whole point of a forum like this is to share knowledge and experience - the poster wouldn't be asking otherwise. If you have insight in this matter I'm sure myself and others would like to know.

I had opened MA schools with wrong partners. Yeah it was a small fortune resukting from a larger fortune.

I think a comedian said this along those lines:

"I became a Millionaire from gambling in Las Vegas-"I was a Billionaire, before"