• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei Yamashita to visit the dojo i attend

Yukimi Ajikuro

oh man I'm so nervous! Sensei Tadashi Yamashita is coming next weekend to our dojo and my brother may test for black belt, which would be so cool, but I'm just nervous what he'll think of me. I better work really hard to be in my best shape when he comes. This was his first school established in the US in the 60's and...well, him being a 9th dan makes me very nervous. eep! wish me luck. :karate:

karateka of Kobayashi Shorin-ryu karate-do(since 2000)

"A human life is truly as frail and fleeting as the morning dew." -Rashomon

“Like everyone else, you want to learn the way to win, but never to accept the way to lose. To accept defeat, to learn to die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes you must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying.” BL

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hope that you enjoy learning form Yamashita Sensei and that you all have a great day!

Good luck to your brother for his blackbelt test. :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

dont be nervous he's just a person.(with an incredible amount of knowledge) try to focus, if you spend the whole time being nervous you could miss a great learning opportunity good luck

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

You know, way back in 1978 I was in a similar situationb as you're facing right now. Although the head of the system I practice isn't nearly as well known as Sensei Yamashita is, he was my sensei's instructor from Okinawa and we had heard countless tales of how good he was. I was a 2rd brown belt, just before black at the time.

It was funny really, half of the class quit coming to practice when Sensei Kuda arrived because they were worried about what he would think of them. Sensei Kuda was there for three weeks of intense workouts and fantastic training. It was an experience I will never forget...and also, Sensei Kuda promoted me to my shodan at that time.

I've never met Sensei Yamashita, but I'd be willing to be that he's just like everybody else..and will be very nice, understanding, and extremely informative. After the first day, I'll bet you'll relax and enjoy the experience.

Actually, I'm rather jealous! I'd like to meet the man myself and train with him. We do a different branch of the same system.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thankyou so much for your encouragement! I'm back from the clinic and icing my arm. It was a wonderful experience. I've been to a clinic before but I was only a yellow belt then and didn't truly appreciate it. He can be a funny guy actually, he was showing us how to do kicks and he started hopping around :) . But, he is veeeery demanding. He had us doing self defense techniques, and he yelled at an entire setion of belts in Japanese, we looked at each other with blank faces :lol: but we kept working, only much harder...which is difficult when you're very tired from already working hard. He remembered my mom from the 1960's when she took from him and he signed my obi! too cool! Anyway, going made me wish that he gave clinics more often, it was a fantastic experience. If any of you get the oppurtunity to go to one, go! :D

karateka of Kobayashi Shorin-ryu karate-do(since 2000)

"A human life is truly as frail and fleeting as the morning dew." -Rashomon

“Like everyone else, you want to learn the way to win, but never to accept the way to lose. To accept defeat, to learn to die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes you must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying.” BL