• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Physical fitness factor practicing martial arts.

I guess we need to define physical fitness for the sake of this thread. I define physical fitness in a martial trining program by whether or not a person can make it through an entire training session without becoming so winded that they can't continue. I also think that a person should be capable of performing all activities in the class at an acceptable level (up to the instructor). I know this is ambiguous as different arts have different levels of acceptibility not to mention people with physical limitations. Also, a physically fit person's health should not be at risk in class. I know this sounds obvious, but there are a lot of folks running around out there that think they are fit and have health problems that are undiagnosed.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
How much of a factor is physical fitness to successfully learning and practicing the martial arts. I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on this.

I'm not talking about how physical fitness affects your health in general I'm talking about martial arts in particular. I also know that to a degree it depends on the art that's being practiced.

One of my instructors, who is in his early fifties, is not in the best of shape. We were having a discussion on fitness, and a younger student asked him if he was in good enough shape to kick him in the head... the instructor said sure... on the second kick.

There are many things you can do in MA that don't require you to be a Mr fitness USA for... hehe.

That being said, there is a mind/body harmony that you should strive for in MA. If you have a McDonalds body you may have a harder time bringing your mind and body togther... :P

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

How much of a factor is physical fitness to successfully learning and practicing the martial arts?

I would say that my excess weight is a hinderance, but it does not eliminate me from MA activities. It also doesn't affect my learning new techniques (or at least it hasn't thus far). It also depends on what you call "learning a technique". Do you include with the ability to do a kick the ability to get your toes up to your eyes? The good news is that I am working on losing my excess poundage, and Karate is a big motivator for this weight loss.

It's really a full circle. I started to Karate to try to lose weight and be more fit. Now I realize that I want to lose weight so I can get better at Karate so I can be more fit so I can get better so I can be more fit so I can get better...... :karate:

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein