• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Physical fitness factor practicing martial arts.

How much of a factor is physical fitness to successfully learning and practicing the martial arts. I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on this.

I'm not talking about how physical fitness affects your health in general I'm talking about martial arts in particular. I also know that to a degree it depends on the art that's being practiced.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't really think it matters WHEN YOU BEGIN. But yes, I believe it plays a large role afterwards. As your sensei begins to expect more, and the combinations become more complicated you must keep up your Physical Fitness if you are truly serious about MA, and want to advance.

.: No matter what happens you must have faith in yourself, or no one else will ever have faith in you. If you have the desire, you can do anything :. (A quote from my sensei)

I believe that physical fitness plays a role in learning the arts. The greater your overall level of fitness the easier time you will have learning, especially in the beginning. When newcomers start they are often challenged with getting into shape, at least a minumum shape that allows them to participate in the rigors of the average workout. Those that come in fit and flexible with decent strength spend less time on the physical requirements and more time learning technique and building skill.

Now, many people join the arts to get into shape, but the person who is already in shape will have an easier time of it, everything else being equal.

With respect to advanced ranks, physical fitness should be in place. Unfortunately, some lose it. Those that maintain and build on it have less chance of injury and spend more class time on skill building than huffing and puffing. I am a believer in being in shape and train outside of the dojo by running a minumum of 3 times a week along with doing calestenics and stretching.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Ahhhh..now here's a topic that's sure to get a lot of action! :lol:

Keeping in mind that some systems are more "acrobatic" than others, or have a much higher level of emphasis on "sport" than other systems do, I think the level you achieve (not necessarily the belt level, but referring to skill level) in the arts depends on what art you are practicing.

For example, TKD, with it's flying, acrobatic techniques and head kicks demands a higher level of physical fitness than most. You don't see to many 100+lb overweight people taking TKD...or at least. not that I've seen.

On the other side of the coin, you have Shorinryu...or at least, the particular branch that I practice, where it's nice to be physically fit, but not required as much because we don't jump, flip or fly during the course of our training. Probably the biggest, most out of shape student I've ever had was Anthony W. Anthony was 6'4" tall, and tipped the scales at about 320lbs. Regardless of that, Anthony was a good student that worked hard every class, and when he quit, he had reached a mid-level kyu grade.

My general philosophy is that karate...or the MA's in general..is for self-defense and should be available to the masses. It was designed for self-preservation, not sport..and that's how I teach it. Are we to say to Joe BigFellow that "Hey buddy, I'd like to take you inb as a student, but you won't be able to do it because you're to fat to do most of what I teach."?

I tell new students that I don't teach physical fitness or weight loss in my dojo. I teach karate. Yes, as a result of their training they should improve both of those things, but that is not my focus. I'm here to teach them karate and all of the aspects associated with that training...and that's all. If they want better bodys, I tell them to go to a health club or gym.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I tell new students that I don't teach physical fitness or weight loss in my dojo. I teach karate. Yes, as a result of their training they should improve both of those things, but that is not my focus. I'm here to teach them karate and all of the aspects associated with that training...and that's all. If they want better bodys, I tell them to go to a health club or gym.

Couldn't agree more. I do offer some suggestions on diet and personal workout programs, but I also have a good relationship with a couple of gyms in my area and recomend them to my students who ask about how they can lose weight and get in shape quicker. Although, I have seen some great results from some who have really given it "their all" when it comes to their MA training, never once setting foot in a gym.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Excellent post ShorinryuSensei. I couldn't agree more. That's what I told my students as well. I would also like to ad a fact that I discovered the hard way. Just because someone appears to be fat and out of shape doesn't mean that they are.

The first tournament that I fought in was the USKA World Championships back in 1992 I believe. After looking at the competition for kumite I decided to compete in the men's heavyweight division as I was right on the border at like 174. I figured by looking at these guys that they were fat and out of shape and I could take them with my superior speed and technique :lol:. Anyway, my first match was with a short, fat guy from Brazil who belonged to some Chinese style or other. I got set in my stance and the referee called hajime and I will NEVER forget when this little short, fat guy jumped up, what looked to be 5 feet in the air, and across into my space and kicked me cleanly through my guard. That was the beginning of a very short fight. I learned several lessons from that match that have served me well over the years.

The lesson that applies best to this post is that fat doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't fit.

We have overweight people in my class. Like Sasori_Te said, I wouldn't underestimate them. This one guy I have been working with (on his forms), he "seems" overweight, BUT he is very talented .... and he is an orange belt (no previous style, no less). He keeps up with the class, and his endurance is outstanding. He is a natural at MA (picking up on techniques and things). Plus, he is a former football player, so that helps.

Laurie F

Well, I figured that I would post on my own topic for my all important blackbelt award. Funny I don't feel any different...Hmmm. Maybe now I have super *'ing powers. 8)

Well, I figured that I would post on my own topic for my all important blackbelt award. Funny I don't feel any different...Hmmm. Maybe now I have super *'ing powers. 8)

I bow down to you oh might master of written word... :)

ooops! uh.... I'm stuck. Could someone give me a hand :o

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Fitness is not as much relevant, as it is relative. Relative to the system you are studying, and the physical limitations you possess. I have been witness to some excellent physically disabled martial artists. Now, you can argue that they may be fit, even though handicapped, but i contend that their fitness level is significantly hampered by their handicap, to the point of putting them at a disadvantage. Their being able to obtain excellent skills in the arts, and therein posing a significant threat to an assailant, presents a conflict of perceptions.

I don't consider physical fitness to be a prerequisite to learning the arts, although i do consider it a prequisite to conditioning and to performing well in most training programs.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro