• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is going to sound really really stupid, but I'm new to kickboxing. Uppercuts travel in a more or less upward direction, right? So how do you use them on bags? It doen't seem like you could land more than a glancing blow. Yeah, dumb question, but I wanna know anyway.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its fairly difficult to do uppercuts on a normal heavybag, you can work them with a partner using pads of focus mitts.

I also think there are bags designed for doing uppercuts on, maybe someone who has seen these can explain more.

yeah, the upper cut is best worked on the pads. When I'm in front of a bag, I will throw the uppercut, and naturally, it will hit air. That's cool though, as I know I put the uppercut in there as opposed to forgetting about it.

Aye, as SevenStar noted, while performing routines and using a standard bag, brushing horizontally against the standard vertical bag, with your uppercut, helps to ensure you keep it in your repertiore.

As to actually building up power, i'm not keen with the pads. They're okay for speed/accuracy building, but you can do that without the pads, and they do next to nothing for your power. I prefer the horizontal (or uppercut) bag.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

sevenstar has the idea, sometimes i like to expand on that. when im working the bag ill purposely miss so that i can be used to not connecting with every shot. its like shadow boxing and bagwork combined.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 2 months later...