• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The most Important things you will ever know in grappling.

I will impart the wisdom that My teachers have given me I bring you the most important things you will ever learn in grappling!

First of all heres the biggest mistake any grappler can ever make

1. Relax

Relation is the key to almost every aspect of life. When your grappling and your tense you miss oppertunities you dont feel weight shifts your slow you breath heavy and get tired all the more quickly. Grappling is akin to a game of chess and haveing a nap at the same time with many the time being just makeing small movenments then with a big finish out of nowhere. ALLWAYS RELAX

2. Keep Your center of gravity low

I cannot count the amount of times I have seen begginers come to me and ask me to watch their match when they do not have a concept of staying low... do not be embaressed when grappling to accidently brush against one another it happens. You must stay low and stay close the closer the better. (Usually)

3. Keep your chin down

Whenever I face a opponet from another school they allways comment on how they can never get any chokes on me, well this is because i allways keep my chin in if you are no exposing you neck you wont get choked out (you still can its just harder)

4. Deception

Allways bait your opponet and be ready to be faked out from him. Once you get to a certain level people will never be honest with you in their body language and shift their weight and try to get your attention onto other things so they can work their magic allways be alert.

5. NEVER GIVE YOUR BACK!

The most basic and self explanatory rules here NEVER EVVVVER GIVE YOUR BACK!

Please add things at your lesiure.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

interesting...if i had to pick the top thing that anyone can learn from grappling i would say relaxing.

a few other comments... when you stay low make sure it's your whole body and not just your upper body. keeping your chin low won't always solve your problems with chokes so keep a hand there, you also don't want to have to tap cause they're ripping your jaw off. in general, yes staying off your back is good, but don't go out of your way if it's not neccessary; just as many moves can be pulled from below as on top...

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

- Stay in Motion

Never stay still, or you will lock up and become tense.

- Regulate your Breathing

If you don't maintain proper, controlled, and relaxed breathing... you will tire in seconds.

Can't think of anything else at the moment

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

that's relevant to sport only. I don't think about 'sport' anymore.

in general, yes staying off your back is good, but don't go out of your way if it's not neccessary; just as many moves can be pulled from below as on top...

Umm, he wasn't referring to staying off your back. He was referring to 'giving' your back to your opponent. I.e., presenting your back to your opponent.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

in general, yes staying off your back is good, but don't go out of your way if it's not neccessary; just as many moves can be pulled from below as on top...

I think he meant don't give your opponent your back....not don't pull guard. It's a lot harder to defend against chokes when the person is behind you...

You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

Relax, take it easy

I have to agree with relaxing, that was something that took me awhile to do when I first started grappling, but you find out fast that your just waisting a lot of energy by not relaxing!

good post

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

for example in judo every throw starts from the mistake of your opponent so i would say that concentration is the most important thing

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.