• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you/your school/your instructor approach Bunkai?

longarm25

33 members have voted

1. 1. How do you/your school/your instructor approach Bunkai?

• A) Not at all
    • B) Instuctor Teaches applications
    • C) LEFT TO EXPLORE ON OWN
    • D) BOTH B and C

Just curious, my Instructor teaches Bunkai bur also encourages us to find new one on our own.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The only way to get bunkai is B and C. Bunkai is not just application, as I understand it any way. It is a deep understanding. You have to work it out yourself in order to obtain it, but it helps if you have some training and guidance. And, my view of bunkai is it is something you allways seek, but never obtain. I did some research on this concept not too long ago, and this is what I came up with. So, now I can be a horses backside and make profound statements about it! :lol:

Freedom isn't free!

I agree with those who said b and c.

Our instructor teaches some bunkai, and in this you not only learn the actual bunkai but HOW to comeup with the applications so you can work them out yourself.

At our school like many others kata is very important has all our techniques come from them.

You need a good instructor that understands and competently teaches b and also encourages c. Your martial art will never be "your own" until you can effectively adapt the techniques to you.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

So, now I can be a horses backside and make profound statements about it! :lol:

Well, I'm glad we're all in agreement on this point then! :D Sorry bud...you expect me to pass up such a good opportunity as that one? :brow:

..I marked B & C. I will show my students the bunkai of a kata technique, usually giving them 2-3 examples of what it can be used for, then give them a few minutes with a partner to see what else they can come up with. It's really amazing that after all these years, some lower ranked student will find something now and then that I hadn't thought of. Just when you think you knew it all, huh? :lol:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"