• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason KJN Hwang Kee decided to change the name was because he wanted to take the style back to what it was originally - Soo Bahk. He called it Tang Soo Do to start with because that literally translated as 'Karate' which was known in Korea as a martial art - he was simply going for something that the general public could automatically relate to. The other options he considered was Hwa Soo Do (The Way of the Flower Hand).

As for Soo Bahk Do being separate to Tang Soo Do, it is now, more so than ever. This is because those Do Jangs idetifying as Tang Soo Do are no longer under the guidance of Kwang Jang Nim H.C. Hwang and therefore don't have access to the guidance set up by his father, Kwan Jang Nim Hwang Kee. The Tang Soo Do associations are very strong, but they are out there thirving on their own since they broke away from KJN Hwang Kee. Forced Ryu Pa in action.

About the style changing, it's NOT moving towards being more Chinese, but moving towards being more Korean. The new Hyungs (Yuk Ro, Chil Sun, Hwa Sun, Sip Sam Seh, etc) have been taken from the Moo yei Do Bo Tong Ji (historical Korean martial arts document).

Yes we still study the older hyungs as well - such as the Pyong Ahns, Bassai and Ni Han Ji, and they still hold a strong standing within our curriculum.

------------------------------------------

Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan

Soo Bahk do defintely still teaches the Pyung forms 1-5, and there are 7 Chil Sung forms--b/c Chil Sung means 7 stars (the north star).

I actually just moved from soo bahk do to a tang soo do studio, and it is different.

The empphasis on the hips is much less so. We don't focus on one-steop sparring hardly, while one-step sparring is a big part of soo bahk do. I'm not even sure what organization I'm in, but they've changed the basic forms and some hand techniques.

Soo Bahk do defintely still teaches the Pyung forms 1-5, and there are 7 Chil Sung forms--b/c Chil Sung means 7 stars (the north star).

I actually just moved from soo bahk do to a tang soo do studio, and it is different.

The empphasis on the hips is much less so. We don't focus on one-steop sparring hardly, while one-step sparring is a big part of soo bahk do. I'm not even sure what organization I'm in, but they've changed the basic forms and some hand techniques.

are you happy with the change?

------------------------------------------

Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan

Can I ask what TSD studio you moved to?

• 2 months later...

I have seen a number of people in here who train in Soo Bahk Do and I am just wondering what rank you are and what region you train in. I am an Ee Dan but i am testing for Sam Dan at the end of april, and I am in region 5

-Soo Bahk!

• 1 month later...

About the style changing, it's NOT moving towards being more Chinese, but moving towards being more Korean. The new Hyungs (Yuk Ro, Chil Sun, Hwa Sun, Sip Sam Seh, etc) have been taken from the Moo yei Do Bo Tong Ji (historical Korean martial arts document).

The Yuk Ro, Chil Song, hyungs, et. al. really were not taken from the Muye Dobo Tongji, per se, but were influenced by Hwang Kee's reading of it and his prior training. The Muye Dobo Tongji is at best ambiguous regarding Kwon Bop. It is an excellent thing to read, but it is near impossible to draw technique out of without having some other context.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

:-? Ive been doing alot of searching and research on sbd and tsd. SO far every where Ive saerched Ive found ALOT of info on Tang Soo Do And very little if not none on SoO BAhk Do. Im starting to wander if I should maybe look for a Tang Soo Do Dojo. Does anyone know why I find 90% more info on Tang vs. Soo Bahk? :kaioken:

I really love what Im in now but im really confused on why theres just such little info on it, like tang soo is better or somthing.

white belt w/stripe (9th gup) SBD

Orange belt TKD

:-? Ive been doing alot of searching and research on sbd and tsd. SO far every where Ive saerched Ive found ALOT of info on Tang Soo Do And very little if not none on SoO BAhk Do. Im starting to wander if I should maybe look for a Tang Soo Do Dojo. Does anyone know why I find 90% more info on Tang vs. Soo Bahk? :kaioken:

I really love what Im in now but im really confused on why theres just such little info on it, like tang soo is better or somthing.

The general answer to this question is that the Tang Soo Do moniker has more name recognition than the Soo Bahk Do moniker.

If I remember correctly, it was somewhere between 1992 and 1994 that the US Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation officially became known as US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation. I was a member of said organization from 1981 until late 1995.

Anyway, most of us that have been around for a while believe the motivation behind the name change had more to do with creating some distinction between those that were currently in the Federation, and those that had left, but continued to use the name Tang Soo Do. The standard line has always been that they were getting "back to their roots" by changing the name, but IMO that is shallow rhetoric at best.

As to your last statement, about leaving Soo Bahk Do for Tang Soo Do, That's kind of foolish. You're a beginner. If you are happy where you are, stay there, if not then seek out something else. Quite frankly, IMO, unless you are a senior dan, the organization that you are affiliated with should be much less important than finding a good instructor and sticking with him/her.