• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differences between Soo Bahk Do and Tang Soo Do

Hi, I'm just curious what the difference is between these two systems (or organizations). From what I've read, they were started by the same person (Grandmaster Hwang Kee), but now they are seperate. I had read that the name was changed from Tang Soo Do to Soo Bahk Do, because Tang implied that it was Chinese and that Hwang Kee wanted it to stand out as a Korean art...

Any info or links would be much appreciated. Thanks.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not practice Soo Bahk Do, but it is technically a seperate art from Tang Soo Do. There are similar principles, but newer forms have been substituted over the years over old ones. (Chil Sung series, Yuk Ro series, Hwa Sun, etc.) that have more of a Chinese flair to them.

Soo Bahk Do is merely an evolution of TSD concepts, IMHO.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I do not practice Soo Bahk Do, but it is technically a seperate art from Tang Soo Do. There are similar principles, but newer forms have been substituted over the years over old ones. (Chil Sung series, Yuk Ro series, Hwa Sun, etc.) that have more of a Chinese flair to them.

I was under the impression that the change to the name Soo Bahk Do was made more to distinguish the USTSDMDK from the many off-shoot TSD organizations that have sprung up over the years (I may be wrong though...).

Does anyone know whether or not the Soo Bahk Do organization still uses the older base forms (i.e Pyung Ahn, Passai, Naihanchi, etc...). When I left in the early 90's they were just rolling out the Yuk Ro hyungs... At that time I thought they we were just expanding the curriculum to show more of the chinese influences... However the wording of your post makes me wonder if the intent was to eventually do away with the Japanese influenced forms...

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

I think that was certainly part of the reason. I might be repeating positive spin.. ;)

From what I understand, some of the older forms are becoming "optional" for testing. I don't think they will phase out Bassai, Kong Sang Koon, etc.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I was under the impression that the change to the name Soo Bahk Do was made more to distinguish the USTSDMDK from the many off-shoot TSD organizations that have sprung up over the years (I may be wrong though...).

Does anyone know whether or not the Soo Bahk Do organization still uses the older base forms (i.e Pyung Ahn, Passai, Naihanchi, etc...). When I left in the early 90's they were just rolling out the Yuk Ro hyungs... At that time I thought they we were just expanding the curriculum to show more of the chinese influences... However the wording of your post makes me wonder if the intent was to eventually do away with the Japanese influenced forms...

to answer your question, yes, Soo Bahk Do uses Pyunk Ahn (I believe 1-5, don't know the exact number because I haven't gotten through them yet, but I watch others do them in class), Chil Sung 1-7, Passai, Naihanchi (sp), there are also other advanced forms as well as some specific weapons forms. I don't know if the weapons forms that are taught at our dojang are considered "standard" (by the US MDKSBD federation), but I believe they are, but don't hold me to that :P.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

to answer your question, yes, Soo Bahk Do uses Pyunk Ahn (I believe 1-5, don't know the exact number because I haven't gotten through them yet, but I watch others do them in class), Chil Sung 1-7, Passai, Naihanchi (sp), there are also other advanced forms as well as some specific weapons forms. I don't know if the weapons forms that are taught at our dojang are considered "standard" (by the US MDKSBD federation), but I believe they are, but don't hold me to that :P.

Thanks for the clarification... It's been ages since I studied TSD (from 86 - about 93). When I left, I was only aware of 5 Chil Sung Forms and the 1st three Yuk Ro hyung. The Yuk Ro hyung were brand spanking new back then... They seemed pretty interesting forms though I can't honestly say that I "Learned" them...

BTW - Where do you train, if you don't mind me asking? My TSD DOjang was in Central FL.)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

BTW - Where do you train, if you don't mind me asking? My TSD DOjang was in Central FL.)

Don't mind at all, I live and train in the south suburbs of Chicago, Illinois.

Original TSD= SBD. There is no difference. Hwang Kee originally called it Tang Soo Do because that is what he was studying under Lee Won-kuk at one time. However, he changed the name.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

BTW Jinxx, which burbs? I am from the Aurora area.

saying the suburbs may be pushing it a little (just listed Chicago cause it's the closest big city), but I live in Bourbonnais, which is about 40-50 miles south of Chicago. Used to live and go to school in the Joliet area (but grew up further south). I see the interchanges for Aurora every day on my way to work :) (work in the NW suburbs, long drive)