• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Kid & Real Karate

Shane

Excellent point, G95!

This is definitely why I am getting involved in Karate-do: to make this part of my life. I need something that will push me. I need something that exercises me. I need something calms me.

Movies are made to make money. If you can find a niche, than you get paid. More modern movies like the Matrix and the new Star Wars movies (esp. Ray Parks) will lure people into MA. Some of those people will want to kick butt within a few weeks, and they will go into it for the wrong reasons. Some of those people will really want to be able to do those techniques and they will work at it the rest of their lives. And then there are the 99% of people in between. Hopefully the good teachers out there will recognize this in each of their students, and teach that student accordingly.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought KK was a very good training film. I use it a lot. Wax on and wax off yeah I have to wash my car from time to time when I do so I work wax on wax off in big circles. Thus Im working my outside blocks. I don't do much floor sanding or fence painting but I understood the point the film was making. That point is that karate is not what we do in the DOJO its what we do in our EVERYDAY lives. Karate is a way of LIVING. We are always training not just when we walk in the dojo and put on a gi. I think KK was huge in teaching that lesson. As far as movies go most are crap but all the KK series IMO teaches more about TRUE martial arts than any other. just my 2 cents.

As soon as I can figure out a good aplication for mouse clicking I'm bringing it to class.

Left click!

Right Click!

Kiaaaaai :karate:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I thought KK was a very good training film. I use it a lot. Wax on and wax off yeah I have to wash my car from time to time when I do so I work wax on wax off in big circles. Thus Im working my outside blocks. I don't do much floor sanding or fence painting but I understood the point the film was making. That point is that karate is not what we do in the DOJO its what we do in our EVERYDAY lives. Karate is a way of LIVING. We are always training not just when we walk in the dojo and put on a gi. I think KK was huge in teaching that lesson. As far as movies go most are crap but all the KK series IMO teaches more about TRUE martial arts than any other. just my 2 cents.

As soon as I can figure out a good aplication for mouse clicking I'm bringing it to class.

Left click!

Right Click!

Kiaaaaai :karate:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO!! Best response ever! :lol:

Try this one. Getting your fingers strong to apply pressure point strikes. What about working your mouse with your other hand just to make you mind work more. You can apply training to anything and back to the main point. I felt KK took real karate and showed us other ways to do it. No super amazing moves or fire balls just karate and what karate is about.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...

i think Karate kid is the bom!! i enjoyed watching the second one recently which i havent seen since i took up karate and i loved it even more knowing i do karate, sort of like a tribute to me a guess. mr meagay really spoke to me... and i like the part where daniels asian girlfriend thinks he act stupid all the time, oh and the hard core asian gangster, oh and the part where he break the ice is cool too, i wonder if i could do that

Was going to put a Masutatsu Oyama quote here but changed my mind, look them up yourselves

i think that you can develop false expectations on what karate really is. first off you are not going to learn that fast. My teacher told me "karate is not fun." even if you enjoy it when it comes down to it you have to put yourself threw some really unpleasent things to see improvement. I dont think the average public understand this and when they come to a ma class the do not understand.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion is that movies ruin it for martial artists. People think Karate is a whole bunch of backflips and hi ya wahh! but it's not. Sure it takes skill and talent to do backflips for a camera but it ruins it for real artists

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."