• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate in maryland

Sinar89

hey, i live in baltimore maryland and i was wanting to know if anyone knew any good karate dojos around here. if possible one that is all guys (or at least gives you the choice of not fighting females) and if possible (but i highly doubt) lets you spar/fight with little to no protective equipment (like a mouth guard and cup). thanks for any help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

here are two OYATA based RYUKYU KEMPO schools. They train hard like Oyata did in Okinawa. The nodn protection thing will be tough due to insurance. I can say bthey do bogu kumite which uses gear, but they go full out , no pulling punchs or kicks, full power and speed.

Maryland RyuTe® Dojos

Polander Kempo Academy

Renshi Peter Polander

5017 Wilson Ln.

Bethesda, MD 20814

301-656-0558

Gordon's Ryu Te Kempo Karate Zone

Jeff Gordon

13404 Kingsview Village Ave

Germantown,MD 20874

tel: 301-972-5425

fax: 301-972-5549

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

hey, i live in baltimore maryland and i was wanting to know if anyone knew any good karate dojos around here. if possible one that is all guys (or at least gives you the choice of not fighting females) and if possible (but i highly doubt) lets you spar/fight with little to no protective equipment (like a mouth guard and cup). thanks for any help.

I'm just curious...why don't you want to fight girls? I've had nunmerous women in my classes that love to mix it up with guys. Two in particular routinely..full and light contact...could whip just about any guy in the class. One was 5'10", around 135lbs..the other about 5'4" and maybe 110lbs. The taller one entered a tournament (point fighting) and requested to be allowed to fight in the men's division...not the women's. The promoter allowed it with my OK, and she placed 2nd in under black belt, but over 1 year group. I think there were about a dozen men she was fighting, and she made me SO PROUD!!! :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

nothing against women, i just have a real strong belief against hitting them. and i don't think i'll be able to fight as hard as i can if i'm, fighting a female....its just my personal belief.

I understand that. I don't know what the women in MD are like, but the ones here in Montana will get you over that concept REAL fast! Women seem to like to fight in my experiences, and if you pair up with one and play "gentleman" to them, they're going to change your concept of them really quickly I think.

The only women I've ever hit in my life were in my classes..and they were trying to tear my head off at the time. It was purely kill...or be killed! :lol:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'm a women, and I'll fight ya. Mwahahaha... if you stood there and continually took hits from a girl, you're going to eventually wanna hit back :P

Actually there is a girl in our class, that ALL the guys in our class would be aprehensive about fighting. She is fairly young, powerful, and has placed 2nd in the Worlds 2 years ago in Kyokushin under knockdown rules. Man, she is amazing to watch.

hey man, I'm in Maryland but I'm taking classes at the University of Maryland - College Park Goju Ryu club. I think you have to be affiliated with the school in some way - but those Kenpo dojo's sound like a good bet. I was wondering what exactly is Kenpo karate like? This is probably a question for another thread but I was just curious.

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

This style is Okinawian Ryukyu Kempo , you can go to https://www.kushu.com, or https://www.rushu.com. The style is a old style karate system that targets vital points and exploits them through strikes , kicks, ( kyusho ) or grappling with breaks / muscle tears / joint locks ( tuite ). It is more like Goju than it is like American Parker style Kenpo.

The head of the style Taikia Sieyu Oyata is the real deal.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"