• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo is more rough than wrestling and you win if you hold you opponent controlled on the mat for 20 seconds. in judo there are special holds. for example hongesagatame or katagatame, in these holds you kinda tie your opponent.

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Judo is more rough than wrestling

Thats ABSOLUTELY ridiculous- what you just stated was much more a matter of OPINION and Im forced to ask if you've ever wrestled in high school/college or even fought a no gi grappling tournament.

Wrestling gets pretty intense, I've seen crossfaces that were so fast and hard they may as well have been a punch to the face, and they've got plenty of other nasty tactics to use as well (lets not forget that pressure against the face is illegal in Judo).

Judo IS a rough sport, theres no doubt about it, but to outright make a statement like that is just ignorant.

Many of the pride nhb guy's are starting to want to know judo because the throws are pretty much unstoppable when you learn them properly. More and more guy's are using judo like take downs because of the fear of getting KO'ed by a knee to the head ala Ralph Gracie. That has been happening to some of the BJJ teams when fighting in pride events, so they are very reluctant to shoot in, and now try to stand and trade strikes with their japanese counterparts as was done in the last bushido event when Noriega fought Nawarga.

And any judoka worth his belt knows how to execute an over the back throw such as seoi nage without getting choked out from behind. We train for it. I've been doing Judo for over 3 decades and Have rarely seen it happen.

My advice to you BJJ guy's is to seriously start training judo. It will help your ukemi (breakfalls) and help you to defend against a good judo player. I remember the first few BJJ youngsters I trained with. In truth their ground game was more advanced then mine when you look at how long I have studied Judo (34 years) vs how long they had done BJJ (6 years). But I as good as they were it was almost comical how easy it was for me to tap them coming off of a throw. They literally had no idea how to defend it so they started flopping to their guards. Ippon seoi nage into juji gatame (cross body armbar) almost at will. And trust me when I tell you it will be much harder for you to get a good judoka to the ground using basic shoots then it will be for him to put you on your back, or side, or head if you're not careful.

But having said that, most judoka will have very little success in tapping a bjj guy on the ground if they fail to get it off of the throw unless he/she is truly gifted on the ground.

I'm only going to ask you once...

I would also recommend chinese fast wrestling or "shuai chaio". They have every throw used in judo and then some. The difference being that they don't really joust for position as much because the aim in chinese fast wrestling is to grab and throw as quickly as possible. But from what I've seen the throws are done at a much higher alltitude and at a much more punishing velocity. They also have just about every Greco take down as well.

Many of the pride nhb guy's are starting to want to know judo because the throws are pretty much unstoppable when you learn them properly.

Well, I wouldnt say "unstoppable" but yes they can be quite effective. I think they're taking up judo simply because it works well from a clinch, and fights in modern day MMA are starting to be won and lost more and more often from the clinch, so having a few judo throws in your repetoire would certainly help, however I see more people electing to use Greco for MMA since its not practiced at all with the gi. Beyond that, the best Judo you're going to see is usually Japan, whereas you can find MANY quality wrestlers in the states.

More and more guy's are using judo like take downs because of the fear of getting KO'ed by a knee to the head ala Ralph Gracie. That has been happening to some of the BJJ teams when fighting in pride events

Well, that has alot to do too with fighters trying to press the ground fight too much and shooting in from too far away. Shots that are set up witha good jab/cross followed by an immediate level change for a shot are VERY effective (just like Nogueira vs Kharitonov).

And any judoka worth his belt knows how to execute an over the back throw such as seoi nage without getting choked out from behind. We train for it. I've been doing Judo for over 3 decades and Have rarely seen it happen.

I think seoi nage is a throw more suited for shorter people (or people shorter than their opponents). The throw goes in the crook of your arm, between your bicep and forearm, so I can only think of a complete beginner missing this throw and getting choked (or they're fighing someone who's just so much more technically advanced then they are and if they didnt catch that, would have eventually just caught something else somewhere down the line)

I think seoi nage works well with people of a relativly equal height because I have never seen it work in live randori on a person who has a notable height advantage. I would personally never use it on someone who is taller then me by more then 3 inches because they have too much leverage and could easily counter/nullify it unless they have no grappling experience. Hip throws and reaps are better suited for taller opponents.