• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, yes, I know that throwing your opponent to the mat or taking them down does not end a fight in and of itself, but why aren't Judo thrwos taught in BJJ? If you caught the Olympic broadcast, the when a judoka threw his/her opponent, they often followed the uke down purposely (I think), coming to rest in a dominant full mount or pin position. I also think a Judo throw would have a heck of a lot more shock value when the uke hits the mat when compared to a wrestling style takedown. I know they're not as easy to perform, but still...I'm probably wrong, but I'd like to hear what you think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo throws are taught, but aren't a focus.

Most BJJ takedowns teach how to firstly clinch without being hit, then generally trip the opponent for the takedown. They are easy to learn and can be quickly applied against an opponent unskilled in grappling arts. The problem with some Judo throws is that a) you have to turn your back on your opponent for a lot of them and b) they require a lot of finess to work. In a fight against someone unskilled in grappling, once you clinch and attach your body to theirs it's easy to take them down, without risk of being struck. If you try a Judo throw then you're usually at striking distance. Judo throws work, there's no doubt about that. They do take time to make them work however, and Kano recognised this which is why he wanted people to concentrate on throwing before ne-waza (He says this in one of his books, I can't remember which).

More and more BJJ schools actually now focus on wrestling takedowns, because it's immediately applicable to no-gi, and MMA, as well as also working with a gi.

P.S For Judo followers, please note that I am not saying Judo throws don't work. They obviously do and can be very effective in a fight if you throw someone hard onto concrete. However, it's a longer process learning this against an opponent who strikes than learning how to bodylock and clinch.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

From some exposure with the wrestling club, I can say their takedowns are not gentle. In fact, judo and wrestling overlap a lot of their throws and takedowns.

The reason for going to the ground could be for many reasons. You can use a winding,ducking and dropping motion to add momentum to the throw. The throw could have been less than perfect leaving the possiblity of a partial point. Going to the ground leaves the opportunity to win by other methods such as pin or submission before your opponent can recover.

When you look at a lot of throws in judo, they are executed from a standard grip of one hand on sleeve and the other gripping the lapel. Since striking is illegal in judo practice and competition, there is more focus on grip fighting and throw setups. As johnnys alluded to, a judoka does not have to worry about striking defense.

they are, but ground fighting is more focused on. a lot of the time, no one gets a throw off, people just fall.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I've only been taking BJJ for a short time, but I have mainly been focusing on standing drills: grappling from standing positions and some throws/ takedowns. I have dabbled in groundfighting in my training, but I sincerely believe what my instructor says: if you don't work on the standup drills first, it is harder for you to understand the dynamics of getting your opponent to the ground to do the other techniques in the first place! A buddy of mine trained under the Machados in L.A., and I remember him having a heck of a hard time actually getting me on the ground to be able to work some of the techniques he learned. Once he managed to get me on the ground (after he sustained some hearty kicks and punches :D ) he was well versed and I was pretty helpless. So always remember that although groundfighting is the focus of BJJ, it does depend a lot on your instructor. Hopefully he will spend some time on stand up skills and takedowns, since they play a big part in the whole Jiu Jitsu experience and success!

Mixed Martial Artist

from what I hear, many of the better bjj guys in brazil are also judo blackbelts. throws are indeed taught in bjj, but as johnny said, it's not a focus. Just like ground work isn't a focus at many judo schools.

• 2 weeks later...

depends on the school... most gracie academy places are taught by guys who know wrestling and all that... so youre sure to learn them, id think.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

from what I hear, many of the better bjj guys in brazil are also judo blackbelts. throws are indeed taught in bjj, but as johnny said, it's not a focus. Just like ground work isn't a focus at many judo schools.

My instructor has a brown belt in Judo...and his specialty is groundfighting. All depends on the school.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."