• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

October Quiz

Killer Miller

Why Do You Bend The Supporting Knee?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Why Do You Bend The Supporting Knee?

• To Lower Your Body's Center Of Gravity.
    • To Allow Quick Change In Direction Of Movement.
    • To Distribute Your Body's Weight Over The Center Of The Foot.
    • To Create The Coil And Spring-Off Effect Of An Action.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To further explain,

Most Important-

Now, don’t take offense.

By my interpretation, to study “under” someone is to study, constantly, consistently, concisely, and most important, personally with them.

Take for example, if I say that I studied Shotokan, would leave it to a particular martial art. But if a say I studied at Mikami Shotokan School (Mikami not actually claiming to be the creator of Shotokan) becomes more descriptive. Now if I say I studied “under” Mikami, would mean that I had constantly, consistently, concisely, and personally studied/trained with him. Which, in most cases, such the prominent “head”, would not be around constantly “showing”, but only as a guest or on occasion, could not be considered as training under someone-directed sense. But perhaps, the whole could be said that I trained in the Shotokan School of Mikami.

To further explain,

Most Important-

Now, don’t take offense.

By my interpretation, to study “under” someone is to study, constantly, consistently, concisely, and most important, personally with them.

Take for example, if I say that I studied Shotokan, would leave it to a particular martial art. But if a say I studied at Mikami Shotokan School (Mikami not actually claiming to be the creator of Shotokan) becomes more descriptive. Now if I say I studied “under” Mikami, would mean that I had constantly, consistently, concisely, and personally studied/trained with him. Which, in most cases, such the prominent “head”, would not be around constantly “showing”, but only as a guest or on occasion, could not be considered as training under someone-directed sense. But perhaps, the whole could be said that I trained in the Shotokan School of Mikami.

*donning my Mr. Spock ears* That sounds logical to me Jim. :D

Perhaps that might be a good new thread to start 47MartialMan?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Which Yamaguchi ? Gogen, or Gosei (father or son) ?

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

LOL 47MartialMan - Trying to get picky here as to details. I provided a general statement based on requests, and I stated I wasn't in the mood for details. I've had execellent training was the actual point as I was asked for some background. I stated whom I primarily studied under. A guest instructor (many) comes over for a week or two at a time and provides personal group training as a group. Did he not personally teach me something when he corrects my personal technique? I think so and is training that most don't have an opportunity to acquire. Was I intending to spout untruths? No, I made a general statement in a line or two with not wanting to be in the mood to go into details. For example: Matsura-san, whom use to be cheif instructor of Mexico, came as a guest and assistent instructor for several months - I think I could honestly say I trained under him. Was he my primary instructor, no...

My only point in that statement was to clarify, by request, that I was qualified to post such a poll question. I was not trying to tout any more than that. I might offer insight to training methods, and pose questions as fuel for thought (as part of my method of maddness), but my training background was a very personal thing that was a major part of my life (a way of life actually) and I'm personally proud and fulfilled of that fact. I don't feel that I should have to always go into detail on it. I originally introduced myself. But as usual, instead of just discussing the question posed in a poll fashion on a technical nature, you choose to make attempts to discredit every word stated.

You can challenge me technically any day of the week and I more than welcome the discussion. To challenge me personally on my background I take offense to. I don't beleive I've challenged anybody's training background yet. I think you too should rise up to that level as well.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I am not challenging your background, just the comment that you made that you had "the answer". Which, given the choices, it will depend on the practitioner and the art.

I gave course to explain, to those that may interpret, or mis-interpret, what my view of "training under" is. Not a challenge to anyone's background or skill.

Get it?

I am not challenging your background, just the comment that you made that you had "the answer". Which, given the choices, it will depend on the practitioner and the art.

I gave course to explain, to those that may interpret, or mis-interpret, what my view of "training under" is. Not a challenge to anyone's background or skill.

Get it?

47MartialMan makes valid points. I also, do not question your background, but to say that one of the options in your poll is ""the one", or the ONLY correct answer is rediculous. Maybe for your particular chosen system...fine, but not for all.

I'm eagerly awaiting your reasoning why just one of your poll choices is correct, and this may be one of the largest discussions we've had on this forum.

In the martial arts, there are few "absolutes".

The #3 choice in the poll is the only one that I'm not clear on, and would like further clarification/explanation on if you would please.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've yet to see anyone actually discuss the choices given to determine what the correct answer really is... A technical approach to this pole is truly what it's all about. I will give you my anwer to the poll in a week. Until then, cut me some slack and let's see some discussion as to why you would, or would not technically choose an option. For example: Why was the first answer so popularly chosen, and why was the last answer chosen, and why wasn't the middle ones chosen - technically speaking? Don't expect me to give an answer yet. When I do, then you can fire away the questions as to why or why not you agree with the answer. :)

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I've yet to see anyone actually discuss the choices given to determine what the correct answer really is... A technical approach to this pole is truly what it's all about. I will give you my anwer to the poll in a week. Until then, cut me some slack and let's see some discussion as to why you would, or would not technically choose an option. For example: Why was the first answer so popularly chosen, and why was the last answer chosen, and why wasn't the middle ones chosen - technically speaking? Don't expect me to give an answer yet. When I do, then you can fire away the questions as to why or why not you agree with the answer. :)

- Killer -

You know, we're already into 3 (maybe 4 with this post) pages already. Personally, I think it's time to give us your answer, otherwise this thread will be 10 pages long before you get around to it. I think it's pretty obvious that this is going to be a rather lengthy (and lively) thread anyway, so why not give us your "the one" so we can let the discussion begin!!!

As for explaining my positions for the various options...naw, I'll wait until you tell us yours first, since you're the one that started this in the first place.