• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Superfoot ......as good as the legend?

What is your opinion of Superfoot Wallace. I understand that as a seminar instructor and kicker he is phenominal. But I also believe that he was protected by the PKA to a degree. There were some contenders that should have been given fights with Superfoot that were not. I respect Wallace imensely but feel this is a great topic to discuss in a forum like this.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

Can't really tell how good he was.. i've only seeing one Fight and if i have to judge for that fight. I must say YES he was protected .. im talking about this fight with Blinky Rodriguez, brother in law of Benny Urquidez..

So i don't know maybe someone else have seen him more to really tell how good he was.

bye

He was as good as any of the above the waist fighters of that time.As for protected ,I think every association protected their champion to a certain extent,he wasn't a leg kick fighter because he really only had one good leg so it would have been pretty easy for a leg kick fighter to injure his good leg.His main other weapon was his left hook.

As for his seminars he is always entertaining and a good ambassador for the Martial Arts in general.

Fighting has changed alot since his day but for his time he was good!

he was a pretty good fighter and he was beating alot of guys by only using his lead leg cuz he couldnt use his back leg cuz of some groin injury

ive seen a few of his fights and that guy used his side kick like most boxers use their jab

quite impressive to see

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

As one of the early "ambassadors of karate and kickboxing" Wallace was one of several in an era of pioneers. They all did wonderful jobs of introducing a new sport to this country. Actually the term kickboxing as applied to what they were doing in the ring came about as an act of a bit of ignorance on the part of a sports announcer. It seems the announcers were unfamiliar with karate and that style off fighting. In an effort to say something they thought of boxing and called it "kickboxing" because of the kicks involved.

They did not realize at the time there was a form of martial arts called Muay thai or kickboxing. The misnomer continued.

As to the style of fighting and the stance Wallace used. He started his martial arts training in Judo. And a serious knee injury ended his judo career. He then went into karate.

He used three kicks: the side kick, a hook kick and a round house kick. Yes, only 3 types of kicks. And with those three kicks he did quite a bit.

An excellant example of doing the most with what you have to work with.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

I saw several matches of Bill Wallace and think he had also a good arms tecnique, very hard punches (apart from the incredible kicks).

I was not too much impressed by his kicks (did more by Cuhningam's kicks), but I saw an unofficial sparring during a training between Wallace and Joe Lewis. Wallace was moving extremely fast with his kicks, really worthwhile seeing it.

Bye.

Enrico

I have this fight on VHS (both NTSC and PAL format), I would be interested in a trade...

The video contains:

Legendary Martial Arts Fights: Volume 1

Joe Lewis vs. Greg Banes, (comments throughout by the legendary Joe Lewis!),

Joe Lewis vs. Ross Scott, (first ever full contact bout in 1970)

Joe Lewis vs. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (sparring, 1970 Nationals in Washington DC),

Joe Lewis vs. various opponents (1971 fighting for heavyweight title),

Joe Lewis vs. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (point tournament)

J.L. Will fighting various opponents.

Does anybody have old Benny Urquidez Fights to trade....???

Bye.

Enrico

I'm by Bill Wallace like I am by Ed Parker and Bruce Lee- the best of their era say they were good, and that's good enough for me. What I've seen of them on film (never saw any of them in person) has only confirmed what I've heard. Bill Wallace was good (as are the other two).

Freedom isn't free!