• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any tips for my first tournament???

Melody:

My son and I have been to a lot of tournaments...and the one thing we learned is what everyone else is saying, "Have Fun". We didn't start out this way, that's for sure, but thankfully that's where we are now. If you start to go to tournaments, you'll have some judges who like your kata, you'll have others who dont. All you can do is try your best and try to improve.

Also, another suggestion is for someone to video your form/sparring, to see areas where you can improve. As some people have already noted, meet people. My son has met a lot of people and some now have been his friend for six or seven years. Make it an enjoyable time, to see and meet friends.

Also, one more very important thing...keep your hands up when sparring (one thing we learned the hard way..a broken nose can and is painful!) The best of luck to you!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

^mark makes a point^; meet a bunch of people and make a bunch of friends. it ups the ante in friendly competition, and just makes for an all around more enjoyable experience :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

around here they only have point fighting tournies and ive only been to one

i wish there were full contact or knockdown tournements around here in florida

Just out of curiosity, what part of Florida are you in? How far would you be willing to travel? I know of one knockdown and semi-knockdown tourney here in Birmingham, Alabama and possibly more than that coming up.