• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi Patch question

My association has a few patches that are required, and a few that are allowed.

- Association Logo on left breast.

- Korean flag on sleeve

- US (or flag or your native country) on the other sleeve

more "optional":

instructor patch

judging patch

world tournament patch (every 2 years)

Some people have only the three, while I've seen others who have their more "formal" uniform that they wear to functions with all the patches.

I'm part of the less is more crowd sometimes. Heck, there are times where I don't even want the black trim. Just a clean white uniform with maybe a few characters and a plain black belt with no stripes.

Have to agree with the patch situation...it gets out of hand quickly. Some people just have to have a patch for everything....

It gets even harder when you are the one they ask to come up with designs for new patches :roll:

Oh well, I'm a firm believer that what you DO is more important than what you WEAR....

...but definitely ask about the guidelines from your instructor. Doing otherwise can be construed as disrespectful.

And if you belong to a larger association, even your instructor may not have any say over what you put on your uniform.

Personally, I have one 'tournament' uniform that has my certified judge patch and world championship patch on it, and other uniforms for day to day stuff...

For some classes i don't even wear the embroidered belt...

it can all just get to be a bit much after awhile...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I only wear my embroidered belt to clinics and tournaments where people don't know my name... It's already starting to show a little wear, and I'd like to keep it as long as I can.

I heard about your patch assignment... That's what happens when you prove yourself to have skills :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

My karate organisation doesn't allow patches, except for a school or federation logo patch on the left side chest. However, most of the students don't wear a patch anyway. I have a gi that I have a patch on that I keep for going to tournaments or seminars in.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Always ask the instructor if you going to put it on your Gi that you wear in his class. I am about to post a artcile of the martial art uniform, but I am waiting to see if a preious artcile, of a different nature will surface.

So, I am pasting a paragraph from the "uniform" article:

The martial art uniform should never be bedizening to the point of meretriciousness. Occidentals have produced multiple colors, odd patterns such as stars, stripes, and swirls for flair. The martial art uniform, in the commercial aspect, had become sartorial in such the case of showmanship. One or two emblems, name, or status may be suitable, but too many emblems, patchwork, patterns, and print work are not considered to be in discernment. In most circumstances, one mon, (emblem or insignia) is plenty. Too many emblems/patchwork gives the appearance of a uniform that emulates a walking quilt. In relation to multiple colors and etc., these may seem noticeable, but just as noticeable as a marching band member without their musical instrument.

I just got my Gi and patch and for some reason I feel more "official" when I'm wearing it. More of a uniform thing I guess in general

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

I think the patch thing can out of hand very quickly. I personally feel that my own association might be just a little over-board when it comes to the patches. They are very regulated, and when the entire class is wearing their full pathed uniforms, it an be a very nice sight, so I can see its usefulness for giving a sense of team... being part of a larger group sort of thing. I do give my students, and the parents of the younger students the option. I do require that they wear on official TKD uniform (I'm not a big fan of the V-necks but that is what the Assoc. wants), but if they would rather purchase one themselves, and try to save a couple of bucks, I have no problems with that. The school is relatively new, but so far, I have not had anyone who did not want to order a uniform with embroidered name and patches already in place. I have had a couple of students join from another MA school in my area, and both of them, once they decided they were going to stay, were quick to order new uniforms. I really try to make sure that they don't feel pressured to from me to do this, so I'm beginning to think its just part of the mind-set of people these days.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

100% Ask your instructor. Anytime you are unsure of something, ask your instructor. A lot of organizations are very strict on what patches can be on a gi, and if you plan to enter tournaments sometimes it can be even more strict.

I like patches on gi's in moderation and if they mean something. It makes me proud of the dojo I am from and the style I train in.

All of the Kyokushin Gi's in Canada (that are part of the IKO 1 at least) have the Kyokushin Kanji on the chest and then on the shoulder we have the Kanku symbol that is known to all Kyokushin people. It looks like this

http://www3.telus.net/public/dijita/kanku.gif

A lot of the times Kyokushin practitioners that have this on their gi's shoulder have a symbol from their countries flag in the middle of the circle, so for mine I have a little maple leaf instead of the red circle that is pictured from a Japanese one.

Oh yeah, I also just wanted to add. My biggest annoyance that I have ever seen in regards to gi's are the clubs that have the HUGE logo spread right across the entire back of the Gi. I don't know why, but for some reason this just screams McDojo to me.