• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi Patch question

I was wondering, if you wanted to put a patch on your gi, would you ask your instructor first before doing so? For example, say I wanted to put a small okinawan symbol on the left or right side of my chest or on the shoulder of my sleeve, should I just do it or ask for permisson? Just wondering what everyones thoughts were.

Follow up question: if someone came into a dojo with patches from a previous style, do you think they should remove them?

Or something like that...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's probably just good to ask. I've usually just got a fresh gi out of respect for the teacher if I stay for more than just a few classes if the teacher is in a different style or organization (I am far too lazy to take patches off after I've sewn them on).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I would say that it would be the respectful thing to do, to ask your instructor. He may have some very specific thoughts on patches or placement of them, and it would be wise to ask him.

Follow up question, For the time that that I was away from my original organization, I visited a few different schools and clubs, and I quickly felt out of place. In the USCDKA, we have and organization patch, our names our embroidered on our uniforms, and depending on the school, we might have some wording across the back. THat's a lot of stuff compared to most schools that I've been to. I quickly bought a new uniform, and left it blank, so that when I did visit a school, I would not be the cause of any questions or confusion. One time, before I purchased the new uniform, I heard a student confront his instructor about why their unifroms couldn't have patches when mine could. I didn't stay listen to the answer, I excused myself from class and didn't return until I had the new uniform.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I have a plain uniform for those occassions when I visit sister schools or my old school (which I still train at twice a year for a few days).

I'm not big on patches. I have the school's patch on my uniforms, but that's it. We are allowed to put whatever we want on the right shoulder. Some have an American flag, some have a Korean patch (or the one that's half and half), some of the kids have a kiddie type dragon patch, ect. I chose not to have any extra except for the school patch only because it's required.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

I hate patches on uniforms and never allowed my students to wear them. We all knew what we were there for without having patches to remind us.

I have worn patches when I train with other styles that wear them but I still don't like it. I never understood the purpose.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I have worn patches when I train with other styles that wear them but I still don't like it. I never understood the purpose.

Makes you feel like being part of a group? I dunno, we don't wear any at our school, and it never crossed my mind to add one.

The best thing to do is ask, the thing the instructor can say is no!

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

My association has a few patches that are required, and a few that are allowed.

- Association Logo on left breast.

- Korean flag on sleeve

- US (or flag or your native country) on the other sleeve

more "optional":

instructor patch

judging patch

world tournament patch (every 2 years)

Some people have only the three, while I've seen others who have their more "formal" uniform that they wear to functions with all the patches.

I'm part of the less is more crowd sometimes. Heck, there are times where I don't even want the black trim. Just a clean white uniform with maybe a few characters and a plain black belt with no stripes.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.