• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can sparring be a bad thing?

There are many fighting skills that can be learnt through sparring that can't be learnt through drills, and that includes point sparring. Point sparring is great for learning how to set up an attack and find or create an opening on your opponent. Semi and full contact teach other skills includnig how to take a hit and keep fighting. Also, minor injuries are great teachers. I don't mind quite junior students learning how to spar under good supervision. The odd bump and bruise can tell us a lot about our own techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how you spar and the purpose(s) for your spar. In my days, sparring was without pads and a "cooking timer" was set. The combatants did not hear the timer. It was there for the instructor to end the match so that other matches could take place. And, yeah, if you fell to the ground, you had best be able to get or defend from there. Many of such resulted in contusions and sanguinary. Nowadays, this method could be liable for legalities.

Yes, at my dojo we are taught to fight from the ground, should we get knocked there. It's a very wonderful technique, that I believe should be learned at all schools, because everyone gets knocked on there a** sometimes :roll:

.: No matter what happens you must have faith in yourself, or no one else will ever have faith in you. If you have the desire, you can do anything :. (A quote from my sensei)

pull in practice you pull it in a fight

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Myth. (But Polly wants a cracker) :P

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I started this post because I've never sparred. Im actually considering leaving my school for one that would start me off sparring rather quickly because of it. Your comment is the type of thing I was fishing for and didnt realize it. Would you mind explaining what you would suggest then? Not sparring? Really blast your opponent? Actually do the stuff most wouldn't normally do in sparring?

As someone who's been training for a bit but never sparred, I've wondered about you're statement. While I have never sparred, I have trained to do nothing other than hit hard. Ive never held back or practiced control when blasting pads. (Of course, 3 minute rounds on heavy bags probalby dont get my best puinches because of being winded.) In addition to this, elbows/ and knees are pretty ingrained. Which may not be if I was sparring since I probably wouldnt do that to anyone in sparring.

Please, nobody think Im saying that sparring isnt good or you shouldnt do it. As mentioned, Ive never done it and am really hoping to hear from people more experienced than me.

...you train in MT and FMA and you've NEVER sparred!?! how long have you been training? that probably has very much to do with it, as i've always though that MT and filipino stuff has quite a bit of sparring involved.

at any rate, i think that if you pull your punches in sparring and do nothing else, you'll pull your punches "on the street" (i hate saying that. has anyone seen napolean dynamite? with the Rex Kwon Do guy? i feel like him :P ). but your other training should be a factor in this, ie: bag work, pad drills, etc. there are 3 major types of sparring (point, medium contanct, and heavy contact), and you have to do all 3 to be really effective, IMO.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

...you train in MT and FMA and you've NEVER sparred!?! how long have you been training? that probably has very much to do with it, as i've always though that MT and filipino stuff has quite a bit of sparring involved.

Ive been training MT and FMA for 14 months and never sparred. It actually takes 2 and a half years to spar @ my school. I dont doubt that may have something to do with it. Keep in mind though, if I was happy about it, I wouldnt be writing posts like this.