• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can sparring be a bad thing?

oh, i'm not here to keep you anywhere, especially if it's not where you want to be. i was just surprised, is all.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it the "philosphy" of the instructor/school, to not spar until a "specific time"?

Yup. And although I've never done it, I cant say I really agree with it.

Is it insurance reasons, per making such philosophy? Is the instructor in fear of law suits? Or perhaps, he wants to make sure someone gets enough experience before sparring

Experience.

Well in one hand, it can be that basics, or training, has to be continuous. Like to its proper execution or perfection. Until such is reached, sparring would be almost pointless, lacking proper "form".

In anaolgy, one cannot paint a scene, without learning about the differant pastels, brush, tools, and techniques.

On the other hand, sparring early, increase certain abilities and make them become intrinsic. While continuing proper "form", both are simo accomplished.

In anaolgy, if one is to practice, eye-hand cordination, then a brush should be in hand and let the paint flow. Then discovery and things are "seen" differently.

how do you get experience withouut doing it?

And the other bit about pull a punch in sparring and you'll pull it in a real fight???? That implies that any one person can only ever fight at one intensity. That's not the world I live in.

markusan,

how do you get experience withouut doing it?

Which is why I stated the second;

On the other hand, sparring early, increase certain abilities and make them become intrinsic. While continuing proper "form", both are simo accomplished.

I have studied one art, with the same philosophy of not sparring until "time". Fundamentals had to be detailed and "routinely drilled" beforehand. Although, I may slightly disagree with it, in relation to sparring, I can understand reasons behind it.

pull in practice you pull it in a fight

Myth. (But Polly wants a cracker) :P

are you willing to bet your

life on that. all it takes is a split second of hesitation and it can be a the diff

Im not saying Dont spar I just trying to get people to be aware that point fight can lead to bad habits. Fist , redman ,blaure make decent gear(though Expenseive) that allows you to train full contact w/ less risk of injury. :karate:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi