• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can sparring be a bad thing?

It was mentioned recently on another post that sparring can be detromental. The logic being that most people play tag and try to win when they spar. As opposed to really taking your training and trying to apply it and hurt someone. Perhaps the logic being that bad habits are ingrained from this. We've all read that "you fight how you train" so it kind of makes sense. Whats your take?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post. I think people need to be aware that there is a difference between sparring and self-defence.

If your good at sparring it doesnt automatically mean that you are going to be good at defending yourself (although it will increase your chances ALOT). The sparring part allows you to test how your techniques work against a resisting opponent, but doesnt really deal with the potential of surprise attacks and other things you encounter in self defence situations.

In my opinion, if your sparring allows the use of has many techniques has possible without causing serious injury to your opponent, then it wont be detromental to your training.

The only time sparring becomes detromental is when you get into the mindset that sparring = self defence. Its important to remember that sparring makes up only a small but still very important part of the overall picture.

Yes people need to understand the difference between the two. Sparring is a must, but for someone who does not understand the difference between sparring and the real deal, it could build bad habits.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I personally think sparring is a wonderful thing. It as taught me as an individual, the importance of control, self-discipline and form. It has also helped boost my confidence and has given me faith in myself and what I can acheive. But yes I agree that you should always keep somewhere in mind that it will not completely help you in real life, self defense occurances. But it can definately benifit you. But the most effective thing in a fight I believe is to walk away if at all possible (but don't turn your back to your offender) or to keep blocking and let them wear themselves out if their skill is lower than yours. You should only fight for real if your life is endangered. Because we train, and therefor have the advantage, we must not TAKE advantage. :karate:

.: No matter what happens you must have faith in yourself, or no one else will ever have faith in you. If you have the desire, you can do anything :. (A quote from my sensei)

Cross made a good post. In my style (WTF) it is a game of tag, basically. But I know the differences between sparring and fighting/self defense. I've been there. My school also does drills for the real stuff, so it balances out pretty much. So, like it was said before, as long as people know the difference, there shouldn't be a problem.

Laurie F

karatekid1975 makes a good point. One that I have been looking for in this post. Sparring isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on how you spar.

Do you spar for points and stop in between each point?

Do you spar for points continuously for pre-determined length of time or until a certain number of points is reached?

Do you do pre-determined sparring? This is sparring where each individual involved performs pre-determined attacks and counters.

How much contact is allowed when you spar?

These are all important considerations that will determine how useful your sparring is to your over-all training. There are more but this a quick list.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Most of what has been said here is of course correct. One aspect that seems to be overlooked, however, is that sparring early on when one's technique is still shaky can lead to some bad habits, such as short cutting moves and/or frequent inuries. Once one has had enough practice to successfully execute moves, this becomes a signifigantly smaller issue, and one can focus on other problems, such as those listed above.

If you waste your time with point "sparring" that would give you bad habits. If you do full contact/fully resistance there will be no problem. So the moral is don't point fight. And that usually people who only do point fighting are weak compared to people who only do full contact.

"I said powerful and quick side kicks like bruce lee ones...NOt just normal ritarded side kicks.

Argh...nevermind.

(idiots)"

Arfoo from shaolinwolf.com

If you waste your time with point "sparring" that would give you bad habits. If you do full contact/fully resistance there will be no problem. So the moral is don't point fight. And that usually people who only do point fighting are weak compared to people who only do full contact.

:lol:

That's total nonsense. It's a myth that keeps getting parroted by those that think they are only learning when they are getting beat up, but it is just a myth.

From my own experience, point fighting does not lead to bad habits. If it did, why am I constantly having to remember to hold back and be light, instead of knocking my opponent's head off?

No, still after 2 1/2 years of sparring for me, the natural tendency is to want to hit heavy, not lightly, and it takes a well disciplined fighter with excellent control to point spar, even if it sounds wimpy to those that enjoy getting knocked around all the time.

The biggest mistake you can make is to underestimate the capabilities of a martial artist simply because you know they point spar.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Good point, also, DLopez. Karate kid brought up all these points, but you hit the nail on the head with your last statement. I might be in WTF TKD, but don't underestimate me. I done both (point sparring and full contact). And much self defense in and out of the dojang. There's even people better than me. So you can't judge a person by sparring. I am pretty good for my age and rank, but I know there's a lot of people who can whip my butt.

Laurie F