• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wish Me luck!

Too bad there isn't a "governing" sanction to qualify people as judges, like referees in other sports.

I see your point, but I wonder if something like that would ultimately cause more problems. The WTF certifies all of their refs, but the WTF, IMHO, is one of the major factors of the Homoganized(sp?) TKD that we are seeing. Kwans still exist outside the WTF, but within, it seems like the kwans have all been forced to merge into this one generic lump.

It's late here, and mabey I'm not thinking clearly, but I wonder if some type of national certification would really fule up arguments about what propper technique is, or what constitutes a point, or even how a form should be taught. One of the things I have enjoyed over the years is seeing how different styles interpret the same form. I enjoy seeing the slight variations from style to style.

Now maybe your whole point was that we should find a way to get these judges to see past the variations, or judge them on some type of equal playing field, and that, I would love to see.... I don't see it happening in my lifetime though.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know it will be hard to set such a standard. It has to be done within each organization. Like profootball has a different one from college. And so on.

That is why, one must "network" on whom is whom and whom is promoting it. One has to be selective.

For instance, a TKD, or even for that matter, a Kung Fu practitioner, would have a hard time placing at a Shotokan tourney.

I see what you mean now. That still sounds like a pretty big undertaking, but I can see how something like that might improve things on the whole.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

It won't. Unless, one has a lot of financial backing and support to structure such a organization.

That's why one has to be selective.

I had once co-promoted a tourney. No judges on the panel were allowed to judge partcipants from their "own" art. Same went for sparring refs.

It was succesful and for awhile, local MA wanted me to continue to have it.

But as time passed, tourney involvement was less importance to me.

I hope you give it your all and come out on top!!! Make us proud!...just don't get hit :lol: let us know your results

.: No matter what happens you must have faith in yourself, or no one else will ever have faith in you. If you have the desire, you can do anything :. (A quote from my sensei)

i dunno' y'all, i've found that even if judges see you've screwed up, you still have the shot of impressing them by not pausing or changing your facial expression. and besides, i don't know how much i enjoy having a judge not from my style. it's nice having everyone on an open playing field, but little nuances like striking surfaces and chambers that are unique to the style go unchecked. maybe that's just WI tourneys and y'all are more organized about that...?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

well, y'know, i don't have the perfect judging panel. the point was that it's impossible to obtain one, so, y'know... be happy with what you have.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai