• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wish Me luck!

This sunday I have tournament for TKD. I will be doing sparring(my favoirte!) and forms. For all you tkd people I will be doing Keumkang because I am 2nd Dan. Wish me luck...

"To be the man, you have to beat the man!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck!

I really like that form.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I am a forms geek, too. You probably already know this from experience, but if you mess up in your form, DON'T STOP LOL. Make it look like it was supoosed to happen (not every judge knows every form in the world LOL). Good luck :)

Laurie F

I am a forms geek, too. You probably already know this from experience, but if you mess up in your form, DON'T STOP LOL. Make it look like it was supoosed to happen (not every judge knows every form in the world LOL). Good luck :)

This is so true. I took first in forms at a tournament I was in this past June. My organization stays current with all of the WTF forms, but we also have others that our Grand Master added back in the early 70's. I usually do a non-WTF form at tournaments, but in this one I did Koryo. I messed up like there was no tomorrow... by the end of the form, anyone who knew what Koryo was supposed to look like knew I didn't do well, but not one judge was from a WTF style, only one was even TKD, the rest were from different karate styles, and because I didn't look like I made a mistake, no facial expressions of disgust, they thought I nailed it. :lol:

It was the first time I had ever taken a first place trophy in forms, and it was, in my oppinion, my worst showing. :lol:

I still chuckle over that one.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

in my 2 judo tournaments i haven't won a match but have taken first and third...no one is ever in my weight class...

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

foreveryoung001 hit the nail on the head there. I took 3rd in forms for messing up LOL. But none of the judges knew the form. All they knew that I was a little sloppy on one part techniques-wise, so it is definitely true ;)

Laurie F

But, whoa, if a judge DOES know the form. What a "price" to pay

It can come back to bite you.

At tournament last year, while I was working out with a Tang Soo Do club, we attended a tournament. The instructor of the club knew that another competitor messed up a Tang Soo Do form, but that time all of the judges were TKD. The Instructor was bad mouthing the judges when the guy that screwed up took 2nd, and nobody from our group placed.

I was in the dark too. As a TKD guy, I had no idea that he messed up until the instructor started complaining. I did my form, I thought, without error, but I didn't place. I don't know, maybe the Russian judge was against me that day. :lol:

That is the "problem" with tourneys. It is not about skill, but "luck"? I have been a judge, on judgng panels, some of those others are so biased. i can go on many tales of that.

See, if you go to them "expecting" to place or win, then you had "lost" beofre even "signing". Your skills should be judged, but in a little instances they are not. What is judged is whom maybe your instructor and what style do you have.

In the past, I only go to "special" tourneys, per "invitational". I usually determine who is promoting it.

Too bad there isn't a "governing" sanction to qualify people as judges, like referees in other sports.