• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeah, locks will be taught right away. A problem you may run into though are beginners with the "I gotta win" syndrome. they tend to get wild in an attempt to "win" as if they are in a competition or have something to prove.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeah i particularly hate that. it makes it hard to learn if youre with someone like that because its just madness, no technique. on the street you could just deck them and theyd drop, but in class theres nothing to be done.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

bjj consists mainly of ground work. it has alot of the same techniques as judo, but has developed a few of it's own as well. they are both completely different from aikido. Aikido involves locking of the wrist and arm. bjj will lock every thing. judo does now allow leg locks in competition, however there are some in the system.

I may be mistaken, but Japanese JJ contains strikes and weapon techniques. Strikes are implied in BJJ by the positioning that makes them easier to perform, but are not regularly used in class, and certainly not in BJJ competition. Weapons are not at all part of BJJ. There are a lot more differences, some of the more experienced guys can enlighten you.

I may be mistaken, but Japanese JJ contains strikes and weapon techniques. Strikes are implied in BJJ by the positioning that makes them easier to perform, but are not regularly used in class, and certainly not in BJJ competition. Weapons are not at all part of BJJ. There are a lot more differences, some of the more experienced guys can enlighten you.

Japanese JJs vary substantially. Many of them focus on standing grappling techniques and takedowns. Less focus on strikes and groundwork. They are well rounded, but usually lack sufficient full-on application. I.e., little to no sparring or competition. Conditioning, as well, is an issue that many JJJ's lack in.

BJJ places strong emphasis on conditioning and groundwork, in addition to competition. In this respect, BJJers outshine JJJers in a manner similar to the way judokans outshined JJJers.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro