• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone have any advice for kicking drills?

I'm not a kickboxer or MT fighter.... I do however participate in Kyokushin which is a full contact Karate. Our roundhouse kicks are almost identical to MT kicks. I have a great respect for the fighting ability of MT fighters so I was wondering if anyone had any really good ideas for some kicking drills that I can try at home when I'm practicing?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me the best kicking drills are done with a partner holding thai pads or a leg kick shield, but if your looking for some solo drills I'll tell you one that I like to do using my bag. Its nice and simple but is great for technique speed and power.

With heavy bag

First set for technique purposes, slow them down focus on technique

10 left thigh level side kicks

10 right thigh level side kicks

10 left rib level side kicks

10 right rib level side kicks

15 left side kicks, come down with right cross, left hook(rotate level of kick

15 jab, cross, jab right side kick (rotate level of kick)

Repeat for second set at full force

Another good workout holding an old tire above your head while practicing front kicks on the bag (I like having my students do this one after I have destroyed them with mitt drills)

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Thanks! I usually train with a parnter. I bought a set of kick pads to use with my boyfriend. So we train at home as much as we can.

I like your combo idea.

What's with the tire though? Is that a strength balance thing?

We use an old tire for a few different things.

An awsome workout with it to just lay it flat on the ground and get up on it into your fighting stance keeping your hands up and jumping up and down do about 10 to 15 jumps then switch your front leg to the back and your back leg to the front and continue your jumps keep doing this for about 2 minutes and trust me you will feel it in your leg muscles like crazy.

Holding it while working kicks is great because its building strength and it throws your balance off a little so you learn to throw that kick from not the most comfortable position in the world if you know what I mean.

If you have thai pads work that same combo and have your partner moving around so you can practice some footwork also have your partner throw in a couple extra punching combos inbetween. When your working the jab cross jab, side kick combo after you throw your strikes get back in your fighting stance and set up for a powerful kick. Waisting time with tip tap strikes and kicks is just going to waiste your energy and get you no where.

GOOD LUCK

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I like to do pyramid sets on the thai pads.

start at 1. at one, to one rep.

at 2 do 2 reps......etc. got to goal, then back down to 1 again.

If you pyramid up to 10, you get in 100 repetitions.

You can also do double-kick rounds. 3 minute round of getting as many kicks as you can, in double-kicks. Have your partner attack you and harrass you while you try to kick the pads he's holding.

YOu can also do combination rounds the same way, the pad holder will still harrass you but will cue you when to do your combo.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

i think they called them 'fives' last time i did them.... what they would do is pyramid up and back down with each leg low roundhouse then high. that means...

start left, do one low, two low (in a row)... up to five, then four... back down to one. then do that on the right leg. then repeat only with higher kicks. it seems easy at first, but..

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I like to do pyramid sets on the thai pads.

start at 1. at one, to one rep.

at 2 do 2 reps......etc. got to goal, then back down to 1 again.

If you pyramid up to 10, you get in 100 repetitions.

You can also do double-kick rounds. 3 minute round of getting as many kicks as you can, in double-kicks. Have your partner attack you and harrass you while you try to kick the pads he's holding.

YOu can also do combination rounds the same way, the pad holder will still harrass you but will cue you when to do your combo.

Hey, we have one like that. Great workout as I have younger people 'panting".

For advanced, we do a "double pyramid" Starting of with "2's" 2, then 4, then 8, then 16.....

Have a partner hold the MT pads, and change position after each kick. Can be done for a predetermined sequence of kicks to work specific evolutions or targets, combos, types of kicks. Or can be done randomly to work targeting and spontaniety. You can also mix in hand, knee and elbow strikes. Note: the random holds also work the holders reactions, as he doesn't really know what you are going to throw, and sometimes the pad is not in optimum position for him to take the force of your blows. Dang pads hurt when they end up in your face, or the force wrences your arm!

Freedom isn't free!