What makes a bad instructor:

- Selfishness

- Fear

- Disregard for safty

- Lack of knowledge

- Anger

- Favoritism

What is the root of all these? Ego.

How do you know a good instructor? By his humility.

No matter how good you get. No matter who you defeat. No matter who complements you. No matter how much you know. No matter how long you've been practicing. No matter how many ranks you obtain. There is always something you don’t know. There is always better. And an ego will always be a deterrent in getting there.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very good instructor- knowledgeable and concerning up to a point of controlling. He does not like smart people. He thinks it is not good for their karate practice- like learning ahead of themselves. He discourages people from learning too many katas or sharing katas. He consistently emphasizes on the basic movements and the usage of the hips to generate power. I do have a love hate relationship with my instructor. He keeps me in line and straighten me out several times. I got my humiliation lesson alright. But I am most disappointed rightnow is that he diminished my eager in learning. I need to pull myself together and get over this hump. He also has favoritism. And I am not the receiving end of it. I know my place. So I chill and cruise along.

YES. to all of the things you listed. If you are concerned with your instructor ask him about his training who did he train with, what orgnization and so forth. If he is reluctant to share this info. watch out.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

I'm learning Goju ryu as well and I have only been doing it for a couple weeks also. I feel my sensei blends traditional okinawan culture as well as practical street wise sense and knowledge when we train. He helps us to understand the katas and the movements and what we do. It helps me a great deal. He is also always available outside the dojo to talk about anything and he is usually good at incorporating what i learn on the mat into real life situations. :karate:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo