nfl2k2

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite his yelling, 47mm is correct. It is not enough to know your material and be able to relay this material to your students. You must also inspire passion and be able to encourage the student to 'want' to learn more. Growth is nothing if it is forced. It must come from within, but encouraged from without. A great teacher/coach/instructor will know how to tap into what's inside each and every student, and cause it to flourish. For the answers lie not within the instructor, but within oneself.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I never admired an instructor for his/her knownledge, yes this's an important factor too..., but rather for their passion and joy of teaching and encouraging the students, even the ones that have big difficulties to learn. :)

My current instructor is GREAT as person...and i think its a very important thing because he can teach you well the spirit and umility of Karate.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

Yes, but from his experience and knowlege from that, he has instilled a passion to teach. But is that passion coupled with profiteering?

Definitely not the case of my instructor. He has an indipendant work...and i heard him frequently saing to people he do it like a hobby.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

• 1 month later...

My opinion is more the opinion of the person. If a student doesn't do well and the instructor corrects them, the student might resent it. However, if you do well, you don't get corrected and you like the instructor.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

What makes a bad instructor??

These are some things I've come across while I've been training that I would put in that category.

1.)Lack of care of student's safety, encouraging dangerous practices and not noticing/caring when senior students (or the instructor themselves) are frightening or injuring the beginnners & women.

2.)...and then you jump over the sword.... Teaching the ridiculous bunkai that they were told when they started 20 years ago.

3.)Trying to get into the pants of every new female beginner.

4.)Spending all the class time teaching one or two favourite students and ignoring the rest of the class...or just ignoring the whole class and talking about cars with his friends....and taking calls on his mobile during class......I could go on!!!!!

Fortunately in the intervening years I have found some excellent instructors. Unfortunately as a beginner there is nothing to compare against so it is easy to think things are normal. I am actually quite glad I was told I was jumping over a sword back when I was a yellow belt as it seemed such a stupid thing it sent me investigating further and from this I met one of the best instructors and nicest people I could ever wish for.