• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

More Successful in real Comabt(not sparring)-Feet or Hand

I personally think it should be a good solid mix of both. For more lighter hits, it would be a lot of strikes. For two or three really hard hit's it would be kicking. But kicking does take energy and it is hard.

Thouhgts?

"To be the man, you have to beat the man!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never been in a situation where I actually had to strike someone... But, I would think that the best technique would any one that you can land.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

both..in my opinion..my legs work the lower part..and my fists are the upper...using both can be much more effective than using just one.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

In a real fight, both can be advantageous. I found striking is more effective and simple. Kicks need to be kept low (around mid thigh or lower) since kicking higher gives even an unskilled fighter the opportunity to grab your leg and dump you.

Mixed Martial Artist

Hand strikes are more easily applied but if a situation allows for a low kick I'll take it. A nice thai kick to the thigh or a blade kick to the knee would be nice. Foot stomps are pretty easy to pull off and dont leave at a major disadvantage but then again niether will a kick if you apply it at the right time and know how to properly execute it.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I think whether to kick or punch in a fight depends on the situation. For example, if you're fighting a guy that assumes a boxing stance and looks like he knows what he's doing, I'd use low kicks because my legs are longer than my arms, and if he is a boxer, he isn't trained to watch for kicks. Trying to trade punches with a boxer is a good way to get tagged real quick. Basic rule of thumb..don't play the other guys game if you can help it...so, don't try to box a boxer unless you know how to box!

I've been in a number of real fights (not competition fights) since starting on my martial arts journey, and in only once have I used a kick. It was effective and dropped the guy down to the ground and out of the fight. Every other fight I've been in has been strictly with my hands, as they are faster, more versatile, and less likely to be grabbed than a kick is. A good street fighter could grab your leg and dump you on your butt, whereas hands are much harder to grab.

Another thing you need to consider is that kicks are perceived by the law as being more deadly than hands are in general, and kicking a guy hard enough to cause seriosu damage could end up with you paying his medical bills, going to jail for assualt with a deadly weapon, and maybe jail time depending on the circumstances.

As I said, every situation is different. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

it depends , don't forget knees and elbows

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

I think the question is too subjective to give a specific answer. It all depends on whose kicks and punches we are talking about. If I'm very good with kicking techniques or whatever techniques then those are the techniques that I am more likely to use in a fight. In other words it's not the technique but more the fighter and the given situation.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I can say from my experience in a self defense situation that I used three hand techniques and one kick. I guess it fit the situation at the time. If it were a different situation, it would have been different. But it worked. That's all I care about ;)

Laurie F