• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sweeps...

Do you use sweeps when sparring?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use sweeps when sparring?

• Yes
    • NO

For safety reasons we don't do sweeps at our club, how many people out there still use sweeps when sparing? (which art are you studing)

Sweeps can be very effective if they are done properly. We do practise the sweep when we have our self defence nights thou.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, we use sweeps, but I practice kickboxing vs. TMA's. I wish I actually used them more! I get swept sometimes, but am not at the point where I have incorporated them into my sparring much... I'm still working on blocking and moving so as not to continually show up at work with black eyes and a bruised nose. But that's me.

We generally do not use them in our sparring. We do a couple of excercises that incorperate them, and then there are the few times where we spar with sweeps, groin strikes (gotta be careful on that one), some grappeling... We find that some of the tournaments in our area will let you use sweeps, so we don't want our students going in completely unprepared, but for the most part we don't use them in sparring.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

We use sweeps, they are a perfectly viable technique in our sparring, practices, and tournaments.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We use them all of the time in my Mixed Arts class while sparring. I dont have any kickboxers that have reached the level where sweeps are introduced to their training schedule, but once they reach that level and are properly trained on them you bet you will see them doing them while sparring

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Yes, we use sweeps in my TMA class, but only at the ankle, not the knee. Knee's are much more suseptable to injury (voice of experience here) in sweeping than ankles are. There are also full leg sweeps when we are standup grappling that work quite nicely and catch your opponent off guard. :brow:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

we sweep all the time in HRD, in fact, we're encouraged to do so. but, like SS, only at the ankle, never at the knee.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

sweeps are very important imo. however since i find it difficult to implement safely i execute and only allow check and ankle sweeps.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"