• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Back-knuckle

How does your style do a back-knucle strike?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How does your style do a back-knucle strike?

• Back of hand straight with forearm, wrist stiff
    • Hand angled back, knuckles in lead, wrist stiff
    • Hand and arm loose, wrist whips back and everything tightens on contact
    • Hand and arm relaxed but alert, wrist straight with forearm
    • Other

I've seen and been taught several variations of four basic methods of delivering a back-knuckle. See poll for details.

Just for discussion, how do you like to do your back-knuckle strikes? How does your system teach it? Reason for your method?

Here's mine: "Other"

My personal preference is wrist whips back, knuckles in the lead, arm and wrist relaxed and alert until contact. Strike hardens as it lands, at the same time as your stance and posture solidifies. Whether the strike returns or swings through, it immediately relaxes after contact/penetration of target. It is sort of a combination of the last three methods in the poll.

My reasoning is that the wrist angled back gets the knuckles leading and protects the small bones of the hands (metacarpals and phalanges). The whip gives speed and power, but not as much as the relaxed whip. However, it does have the advantage of being easier on the wrist/safer if the strike is intercepted. It doesn't allow for internal energy flow, but can be delivered successfuly at more angles of incidence to the target than the straight, relaxed wrist strike.

I don't do any strikes with a stiff arm/wrist, but some do and can make it work for them. If that is you, feel free to give us your reasons here. How about the rest of you?

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

um, this depends on where our hand is to begin with.

part of our aim is to be able to do things without the need to re-chamber or similar.

i.e be able to punch, anyhow from any distance, with our hands in any position.

well, severed and on the floor not included....

if i intend to hit with the knuckles, i would basically 'draw' the straightest line from where my hand is, to the target.

and yeah, loose hand, whipping to closed hand; almost like a snatching movement.

but then again

the intention also plays a part.

i.e knock, shock, push, whatever.

hand tends to withdraw/relax down the centre, unless it is required to do something else.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

um, this depends on where our hand is to begin with. part of our aim is to be able to do things without the need to re-chamber or similar... and yeah, loose hand, whipping to closed hand; almost like a snatching movement... intention also plays a part. hand tends to withdraw/relax down the centre, unless it is required to do something else.

Good points, DM.

I should add that I'm asking for preferences and discussion, not absolutes. As DM pointed out, things change as your intention changes, and as your position or circumstances change. For example, I really like the loose, whiping back knuckle. But as my arthritus gets worse, I tend to protect the wrist and hand a lot more. Hence my tendency to a more guarded, 'alert' delivery.

Freedom isn't free!

.....and it maybe cos of my styles peculiarities

but we tend to 'lead' with the elbow.

i.e move elbow into position first.

well, kinda....

it's one of those things i'd have to show you....

dammit.

we really have to sort out a meeting one of these days.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

dammit. we really have to sort out a meeting one of these days.

So, when are you hosting the KF get together/party & bash? :D

Freedom isn't free!

....i'm a terrible organiser.

i think a couple of the brits here might be going to the goju karate weekend coming up soon.

no harm in saying hi while we're there.

and the bogbeast says he might be coming to london next year sometime,

so again, just a hi and all that.

i think an actual official big meet would need someone with more brains and patience than i have.

I voted "other". Basically, it depends on what strike you're going to do, and are you striking a nerve center, or bone (face)?

"All of the above" would probably fit better.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I was just taught this simple attack yesterday actually. Our instructor had us slowly slide our knuckles in a straight line toward the opponent's face, and just before our hand strikes, we whip the knuckles downward to crush the nose.

I had to also go with other on this poll, we train different variations for different situations and placement you may find yourself in.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

quote from shane:I had to also go with other on this poll, we train different variations for different situations and placement you may find yourself in.

the same here

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"