• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference in Korea and The US

This past summer I trained in Korea for 4 weeks. It has basically given me a whole new look on US tkd. One I notice how watered down tkd in The US really is. They train 8 hrs a day year round, it is an intense lifestyle. Also when team train sparring they don't wear dobuks and stuff they just have tees and tkd pants. It is less about business there. So everyone if you want the best tkd training go to korea.

"To be the man, you have to beat the man!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unlike going to Canada to learn to play hockey, or the coming to the U.S. to learn American football.

I have to agree that a lot of the TKD in the states is, as you put it, "watered down", but be careful about lumping everyone into that catagory. There are schools out there that believe in tradition, and work to impart that to their students. There are also schools here in the U.S. that are open all day, and would allow a student to train 8 hours if they wished... I can tell you from experience, it's sometimes hard to get a student to show up for 2 hours twice a week, let alone 8 hours a day. It comes down to the desires of the student.

Sounds like you had a great experience over there though. Give us some details about what you enjoyed about your training there, and how it differed from your training in the U.S.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Dude, if I didn't have to pay bills, I would train 8 hours a day in the USA.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Yea I personally train at a US dojang, it isn't the hardest but we hjave great masters. I just feel like you can't potentially get as much training here.

You know, it may take some searching, but I think you could find whatever kind of training you are after. The problem, IMHO, is that most Americans are in it for the quick fix, quick rank, quick whatever, and that has led to a lot of the "McDojo" mentality. The quality schools are out there, as well as schools that focus on the sport aspect, the traditional aspect... whatever you want... Maybe not in your back yard, but again, you can't lump every TKD into one catagory.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Yea, what's MCDojang mean?

Anyway, i know they exist, but i would feel bad if i left my school.

But trust me Korea is better than some of the best schools, trust me.

Yea, what's MCDojang mean?

Anyway, i know they exist, but i would feel bad if i left my school.

But trust me Korea is better than some of the best schools, trust me.

I see you received some answers to the Mcdojang question on the other thread.

I do believe you that Korea has a lot to offer. I have heard that from several others, including my Grand Master who goes to Korea quite often to train. As a husband, and father of four, it just hasn't worked out for me to get over there, but I do envy those that have the chance to take advantage of that heritage.

I guess Taekwondo in Korea being better depends on your point of view and also the focus of the training.

Probably the sport of Taekwondo in Korea is much better than here. I'm sure they train harder than sport martial artists in America.

R. McLain