• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Splits

Hey guys,

I've been working towards the splits lately but I'm not quite there yet. Last night before my karate class, I came very close to doing the splits and when I stood back up my legs hurt. When I tried to do the splits this morning, I went down just a little bit before my legs and groin started to hurt. Is this normal? Do you have any tips on getting closer to doing the splits? Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i've never been able to do the splits, never needed to.

but as far as your legs hurting, Superfoot Bill Wallace teaches that when stretching, you should just jump right up after a stretch. for instance, when sitting down and strecting your legs into the splits (not standing) when you're done, you should put your hands behind you and pull your self backwards allowing your legs to come together. then rest for a couple seconds before standing.

DD, depending on how hard you've been stretching, you might have pulled or agrivated a muscle. Try alternating heat and cold, and use an anti-inflamatory, like Advil. Don't push yourself to hard for a few days and see if that doesn't help. As for stretching into the splits, I've heard different thoughts on the subject. for me personally it took a long long time to get anywhere close, but getting into a full split isn't as important to me as just maintaining an overall flexability.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

DD, No,no,no, stop hurting yourself , you hope I am wrong but it seems you pulled a upper thigh muscle close to groin , take it easy and rest at least for a week ,then when you start go slowly if you feel the pain is coming back stop and rest for another week, you can practice but don’t stretch that muscle. If you agitate this kind of injuries they stay with you forever.

nothing can hurt worse than the first day after you start lifting...but yeah it's normal, you might take advil or something but I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse.

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

Pain is your body's way of saying "Whoaaa!! That's too much!"

I usually feel some stiffness and soreness in my hip joints the day after serious leg stretching exercises, but usually it goes away after warming up, which is how I can tell it isn't something serious like a pulled groin muscle.

If the pain doesn't subside no matter how much you warm up, take P.A.L.'s advice and take it easy to let it heal up because otherwise those injuries take forever to heal.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Here is a link to a post of mine which will surely help you to split much quicker and easier.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=174943&highlight=#174943

Always remember to warm up before you attempt to split. A muscle ripping sounds the same as your gi pants ripping ...... and it's not half as funny!

"You do not truly know someone until you fight him." - Seraph

"To be the best, you must be the best." - Me

DD,

If your hurting you need to take it easy. And slowley get back into the game, but pay close attention to where you were hurting. A small injury can turn into a lifetime pain in the butt if your not careful!

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!