• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help needed !!

asusradeon

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that I already told him what "focused mind" was in Japanese on another thread.

Edit: I only added this post just because I thought your comment was directed at me, tommarker (the one where you stated you had a reply on another thread, which I read).

I never disparaged the fact that he was a blackbelt, if you looked at my posts in this topic. I was just genuinely curious about why he wanted to do it (as in was it an assignment from a teacher, a tournament, or just out of his own volition). The only reason why I said the things I did was simply as advice that there are a lot of things to consider when designing a kata, even in addition to specific bunkai. I stated things directly because I was being frank about my views on the matter.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to bring the kata discussion back over here...

Many systems require making up your own kata. I believe this can be an excellent tool for determining a person's understanding of and comfort with their art (And to a large degree, their level of creativity.)

The challenge is making a kata which will stand the test of time. Not everyone is a Bushi Matsumura :D Will your kata be the next Kusanku? Do you want it to be??

- Will your form have a deeper meaning than athleticism? If not, does it pretend to?

- What theories are you encompassing (unless you're just trying to show off ;) )

- What level of proficiency will be required to perform this form?

- Is the form a series of simple moves in complicated patterns or a set of complicated moves in simple patterns? Which is harder? :)

- Are there "repetitions" in your form, or "variations on a theme"?

- Do the motions have more than one valid interpretation?

- Did they when you created it? Or was it a happy accident? :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Also keep in mind, many high ranking Masters have created their own forms that have evolved from their conception to their final version. What you know about karate now will hopefully be different than 20 years from now, and you may want to revise things.

Shimabuku when originally teaching kusanku no sai had kept the kicks from kusanku, but later took them out stating that from what he'd learned of the sai since creating the form, he felt the kicks weren't logical.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.