• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help needed !!

asusradeon

do we have to pile on this guy about his age in EVERY post he makes? He clearly wants to learn, so let's help him learn! I think we've ALL established that fact that he is 13 and a Shodan. But guess what? HE'S NOT YOUR STUDENT!

Asusradeon, I'd like to hear more about your kata if you don't mind.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter about your age for ranking. But for Black Belt training you are required to do 100 press ups and know all the Katas perfectly. I have never seen a 13 year old do that much. Hoever I guess it's possible with the right student :D

those are the requirements for your school/art/association.

Know all the katas perfectly? At 1st (or for that matter, any dan) that is a stretch. Unless you're talking about knowing the moves in the order they occur. Big difference.

My point is instead of tearing this kid down, why not put aside your ego (my black belt is worth more than yours!) and expose him to something new and positive?

Eh?

Anyone?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it would be awesome if he called it the Bakamono Kata !

Play nice Ken!

Don't call it 'baka [no] mono kata'!

In Japanese, 'baka' means fool or idiot, 'mono' means thing, object, or product.

So, your kata would be know in Japanese as 'the product of a fool' or 'something made by an idiot'.

Shame on you! :D

My wife has gotten me to say some pretty funny stuff to strangers.

We got lost once and she told me to ask for directions, or so I thought.

Wound up asking some guy what color underwear he had on instead of where the restaurant was.... :x

All good for a laugh, but... :brow:

The behavior on this thread is appalling. I agree it's funny to joke around on occasion, but have you considered how mean some of you were being... to a 13 year old?

asusradeon, shuuchuu is about as close as i can give you. It essentially means concentration or focusing of the mind.

Edited by White Warlock

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Hmm... looks like, in 3 days, he was ragged to the point of never returning. :(

If a 13 year old obtains shodan, it is important that you realize that it is not the student, but the school that provided the belt, which should get the ragging. Especially when you consider the issues pertaining to self-esteem and acceptance that are so critical to a child at that age.

Please consider this in the future. Thanks

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Perhaps we were being harsh, but I think it was due more to the content of the original post combined with his age and not his age alone. There are plenty of younger people that come to this forum that don't draw these kinds of comments. Why do you think that is? This question is for WhiteWarlock and tommarker.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

while the issue of 'creating' a new kata may have deserved a little ragging, the question itself, about asking for a translation of a word, didn't. Also, this thread went on a tangent, focusing on the 'age' of the poster and their 'rank,' both noted on the sig. I like most everyone in this community, but sometimes the gang mentality slips in...

Intro