• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ALL TIME FAVORITE KATA

asusradeon

My favorite katas are Chinto and Sanchin. Sanchin is very difficult to do correctly, and Chinto is just fun with the balance involved.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bassai dai is always pretty fun to do/watch, although i'm pretty partial to the ryuei-ryu advanced katas (heiku, paiku, anan), but only if they're done correctly. otherwise they just look really awkward.

'pain is weakness leaving the body'

neji84, welcome to KF, it's cool that you know bassai and also practice ryuei-ryu. I love all the ryuei ryu kata although I practice shorin, what version of bassai you practice? we practice Itosu no passai and Matsumura no passai. I have watched Sakamoto doing Anan in 1984 karate world cup , he is a great karate-ka.

hey PAL, thanks for the welcome. i think a few visiting senpais in our dojo are shorin-ryu. i've just started practicing bassai dai, getting it to competition level, although it was never really specified which variation we were practicing (itosu, matsumura, etc) we practice a version very similar if not identical to the bassai kata practiced in shito-ryu, since our styles match are relatively similar. i had the privelege of meeting sakumoto-sensei when he came to california a few summers back. if i can get half as good as he is, i'd be extremely content. haha.

'pain is weakness leaving the body'

I have always suspected that someone had put our bassai san together for tournament reasons,it incorporates a flying sidekick.I did not maintain this kata and now I do not remember it completely.

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...