• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ALL TIME FAVORITE KATA

asusradeon

What is your favorite kata ??

Currently I'm quite partial to the Seibukan kata, Wanchin.

I also like the Naihanchi kata, though I used to think they were useless kata - until I had some logical (and painful) applications shown to me (w/o the usual * explainations you see...)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naihanchi's :kaioken:

Gojushiho :x

Passai :evil:

Depending on my mood

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Has anyone done any TaeKwon Do as well as karate? And did you find the patterns boring?

I have done Tang Soo Do, then TKD. I did find that the WTF forms are easier till Taegeuk 7. For some reason that form was hard for me to learn. Taegeuk 8 as well.

Anyways, my fav form of all time is Pyung Ahn (Heian .... sp?) Ee Dan. I was actually practicing it yesterday. It's cool to go back to my old TSD forms at times.

Laurie F

Has anyone done any TaeKwon Do as well as karate? And did you find the patterns boring?

I do ITF Taekwondo. I used to do it a long time ago in a gym, but now I do it in self-training. And actually the forms are very similar. Heian Nidan/Pinan Shodan are nearly micked by Won-Hyo. Taekwondo basically was a Korean style of Shotokan Karate with a roundkick designed for a steel-toed combat boot and it hasn't been until recently that the karate influences have become further and further obscured. I'm close to knowing all 9 of the hyung (patterns) for black-belt level and I still see very little difference in any of the movements.

Anyway, my favorite kata's are Meikyo and Sochin. I'm just a puny white belt at my school, but the internet and kind teachers have provided me with these wonderful kata.

Nana korobi ya oki

If you fall down seven times, get up eight.

I have done Tang Soo Do, then TKD. I did find that the WTF forms are easier till Taegeuk 7. For some reason that form was hard for me to learn. Taegeuk 8 as well.

Anyways, my fav form of all time is Pyung Ahn (Heian .... sp?) Ee Dan. I was actually practicing it yesterday. It's cool to go back to my old TSD forms at times.

For TSD forms I always liked Chil Sung Sa Lo (from the USTSDMDK) & Dol Poon(sp?) 9 (from the United Federation).

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

Currently my favourite kata is Sochin, although that will probably have changed by next week. :P

I also really like Meikyo, Gankaku and Enpi. My favourite of the Heian kata is H. Yondan.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Longarm25,how could you dislike Naihanchi?

I dont dislike the naihanchi's But I like to pract them wen Im in an angry mood.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi