• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting a style.

asusradeon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nope...I've only been involved in the arts for 30 years. That's not enough time to "know it all" and start my own system yet. Maybe in another 30 years or so....we'll see. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The only thing a person needs to do to start his own "style" of martial arts is a cool name.

The reality is that everyone has their own "style", their own way of actually trying to fight. Two Thaiboxers, for example, will use different strategies and favor different types of techniques, and may even have different ways of doing the techniques.

If I started a school, I'd probably think of a cool name and start my own "style". But I would let it be known where my system came from and who the parents are. The name would be to draw in customers, but I'd want to let it be known what I actually teach for the more informed martial artists to know what my "system" is about.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I haven't started my own system , but I do teach Self-Defence sometimes and then I teach my version of things. But I don't teach it as a system so much as methods of defence!

You really should have been doing M.A's for years and have (IMHO) experience in a range of arts.

Interesting topic!

I agree with tbken about one thing. Everyone ultimately has their own style of martial arts. That's the way it's supposed to be. Having an instructor that understands this is something else all together.

Starting your own tradition is a sticky topic. What are your reasons for wanting to do this?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

This can be a touchy subject.

I do see why people have created new systems, I believe the truth for most of them is that their prior program probably lacked in some areas and they were trying to better it. Trying to start a system based on tradition would be so different from developing a mixed martial arts program. Like thai said we all do things our own way and prefer one thing to another, but when it comes to preserving tradition thats a whole different story.

My Instructor started off only teaching traditional and then part way threw my training he started a mixed arts class that followed our traditional class. In no way was he trying to start a new traditional system he was just trying to show things in a realistic way that incorperated techniques outside of his traditional program. Having your way is the whole point, teaching your own program is great.

So developing your own style of self defense based on mixed techniques (mixed martial arts) is fine as long as you have the experience needed to do so, or adding to a traditional system if allowed by those incharge of the program is fine, I believe that you can always add to, as long as you dont take away. BUT trying to start your own system based on tradition is a very touchy thing to do and would require years and years of experience and I dont see the point because these traditional systems based on traditon are already here, just waiting to be trained why try to be a copy cat of the old styles. So what I'm saying is NEW WAYS ARE AWSOME AND FINE but if your just going to create a new way that trains the old way, why even bother when you already have so many options out there.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I firmly believe that right now there are more than enough styles and systems (probably too many), that anyone who is willing to search a little bit can find the one that is right for them, along with the right instructor (ultimately more important, IMO).

I don't necessarily have a problem with very experienced martialartists who create there own system or style, as long as it is based on a firm foundation of true skills, and MANY years of experience...with a legitimate desire to create something useful, and contribute to the well being of others through training.

the problem is that all too often, martial artists become disgruntled with their teacher or organization, or come to believe that they aren't learning anything new, or have a badexperience and believe that their art is worthless (not thatt he fault could ever be within tme, not the art)....

..and they goout and create their own sytem that they feel is vastly superior...I know of a second Dan that brokeoff and started his own system, suddenly proclaiming himself a 5th degree master..

..that just reeks of raw egotism to me. he believed he was better than his current system ranked him as, believed himself to be more knowledgeable than his instructor, and went ahead and promoted himself....that I have issues with.

most dont create new techniques they just change how they are used or mix them with other tech.

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi