any one take XMA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the problem in the tournament setting (In my view). Yes..a lot of tournaments divide them up in traditional, open/creative, x-treme, etc., but everything becomes more of flash, not content. As an example, my son does a TMA Shorin Ryu. He competed in the US Open this past July. In the traditional forms (kata), out of the twenty six (26) competitors in his group, there were "maybe" three (3) doing a traditional form. Not one of the top four (4) that won did a traditional kata (it was a self made kata). It was more about flash and yelling than it was about the technique, fast/slow, etc. Also, by the way the individuals who placed 1-4, were also ranked 1-4 in the NASKA ratings. It seems like only the real traditional tourneys will score on the basis of what a kata should be...

...i'll concur; the last TMA tournament i entered, my traditional staff form lost to the flashy double nunchaku form... he wasn't even holding them right... i think that very much depends on the tournament, though, and the luck of the draw as far as you get for judges.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

that kinda irks me because it seems that if your are a NASKA member you get the nod.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

jbone:

Not only does "seem" that the NASKA memeber gets the nod...they do get the nod. They have the definite advantage of going last in the group of competitors; they check in with the judges to let them know they are ranked, and what their rankings are. The judges know who is ranked, etc.

Here's what gets me upset. I've been to a ton of tourneys, so I do have some realistic views on what's fair and not. Like I said, the top four competitors placed 1-4. The scores were averaging in the 9.1-9.3 range. As soon as the individual that was ranked 4th in NASKA went the scores jumped up to the 9.6-9.7 range, and went up from there. There were other competitors that were better and did a better kata that day. They weren't some made up kata with a bunch of screaming. Oh..well. I guess you have to join the organization or you wont win. They also rank national NASKA people also.

Hmmm figures since they pay their $60 membership fee. They got to keep them somehow so make wins easier. Thats not good for MA, it's sad really.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."