• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

any one take XMA

If you cant fight will is it really worth it? :argue:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are those that only do XMA good fighters? Or do they think because they have xtreme ability they are good fighters but not really?

Like I said, I would love to learn to do those moves. I have the athletic ability to learn them quick, but I need the right teaching.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

this crap is the reason that i left large tournaments. it's impossible to win against someone who does a back flip in thier routine when at least three of the judges are under 30. if you can get lucky enough to have a couple of real masters judging your ring, you stand a chance with a real form/kata/poomse.

and they try to use it in fighting too, standing on their hands and kicking. you can't hit them back when their on thier hands because then you don't know which side is below the belt. i think a sweep would do nicely, but the judges frown on it.

i hate the XMA! it's a disgrace. it's probably like televangelists are to preachers.

don't the big tournaments usually have traditional and open divisions?

as far as it being a disgrace, check out the level that these guys compete on.... How many people here are competing and winning nationally and internationally in ANYTHING? They deserve respect for what they do.

So are those that only do XMA good fighters? Or do they think because they have xtreme ability they are good fighters but not really?

On the same token, how many people here can do what they do AND also say they are good fighters? Heck, how many can only say that they can do those moves and compete at the high level that the xma guys do?

Well its more like martial gymnastics instead of martial arts in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, what they do is impressive, just not practical. However, if it gets kids out of the house, in shape and interested in "real" martial arts then its totally fine with me. :karate:

Yea I agree but I am going to be a little more harsh. No doubt XMA is cool, flips and stuff that is impressive, but it all means nothing. It doesn't prove that you can fight, have a sparring match. I watched it on Discovery and it was guys swinging weapons around. They have to know the exact placement of weapons and the pin points of a swing. Not just up down, fast, looks like type ish.

no offense, but a high kicking tkd guy insulting the xma? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? just as there are merits to tkd, there are some to xma.

some people like to learn how to shatter someones skull, some people like to learn how to do pretty butterfly kicks, somepeople like both. .

I can agree with this, but it's when you get those that learn the latter and claim to know the former is when you get people wriled up.

I was watching a thing on the TV once, maybe TBS, soluting Martial Artists. Sinbad (the comedian) came out and starting talking about being a Black Belt and his master. Then he revealed that his "master" was Billy Blanks. that got me all upset.

i know that billy blanks isn't XMA, but it's similar, you see where i'm going with this?

Maybe a good analogy would be a lawyer who went through law school getting upset because someone was just learning the big words and saying that he was a lawyer.

okay, that was a bad analogy, i admit.

i'm rambling, so i'll quit.

sorry

blanks has legitimate skills, despite popularizing tae bo. Could you take him?

Yeah, at one tome I could do "flips". Judging many tourneys, I did not grade on those.

Generally when judging, I believe it has to be a form that anyone, with common practice could do. Not some fancy, gymnastic abilities that only a "few" could do.

And, I don't want to go on a rant about these "specialized" weapons to add flash and flair.

The same goes for those many "colorful" uniforms and gear.

I agree Seven. I would like to know some of the seniors opinions on this. I'm a brown belt in my art which is open. My sensai feels if you have the skills and ability to do these things go for it. It's part of martial arts and I think it's great.

I really want to be taught the techniques. I'm not close to any schools but aren't there websites that break down the moves?

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Oh on a side note. I never been to any real big tournaments. Is it that bad in forms to the point a nice traditional with some flash kata won't beat an all XMA kata?

If so that's garbage and my goal is to go to an US Open and do traditional with some flash using my athletic ability and beat a straight XMA kata.

It depends on the tournament. I have been to some - NBL - that divide the competitions into Soft Traditional, Hard Traditional, Open, weapons, etc. then there are some smaller ones that has everyone competing against each other. Some of the local ones in my area don't really have any XMA competitors.

good luck though if they don't divide it up.