• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

any one take XMA

some people like to learn how to shatter someones skull, some people like to learn how to do pretty butterfly kicks, somepeople like both. .

I can agree with this, but it's when you get those that learn the latter and claim to know the former is when you get people wriled up.

I was watching a thing on the TV once, maybe TBS, soluting Martial Artists. Sinbad (the comedian) came out and starting talking about being a Black Belt and his master. Then he revealed that his "master" was Billy Blanks. that got me all upset.

i know that billy blanks isn't XMA, but it's similar, you see where i'm going with this?

Maybe a good analogy would be a lawyer who went through law school getting upset because someone was just learning the big words and saying that he was a lawyer.

okay, that was a bad analogy, i admit.

i'm rambling, so i'll quit.

sorry

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen it under some people style indicator thingy, so i know they're around. they're probably hiding from sasori te and mu ryuk :wink:

Heh heh :D

Fear me.

Seriously though, you bring up a good point.

XMA is fine with me...the thing I don't like is the name.

It is NOT Martial Arts. It's gymnastics with Martial Arts elements (kicking, punching, weapons, etc). This is fine, but if, and ONLY IF, the Instructor stresses to the greatest possible point that it is for flash, NOT FOR FIGHTING. Yeah, the jumping can get you a point. But it's not going to work in a real situation.

I also don't particularly like the uniforms and that damned clip together Black Belt. But I'm a Traditionalist. Before someone says it, I am well aware that the "Traditional" Gi or Dobohk was not used until about 100 years ago (rough estimate) when Judo came about. Then Funakoshi started using something like it to get Shotokan recognized in Japan, and that was it. But come on. Their Black Belt has a clip like a freakin' backpack!!

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=12075&langId=-1&product_parentId=14104&crumb=13501&categoryId=14104&parent_category_rn=10251

ARRRRGH!!!

*End rant.*

Passion transcends pain.

as far as the name goes, i bothered more by the "X" than the "MA". the whole concept is bastardized by the "extreme" band wagon. bah! but, y'know, my point was that i've yet to talk to anyone who refers to XMA as a fighting art, including the practitioners. it's just something fun to do.

as for the sinbad thing... y'know...he's sinbad. i wouldn't take him as the definitive word on the arts.

oh, and agreed, the uniforms are butt ugly.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Dang now I know why this hasn't been brought up since I been a member. I love to watch it because it takes training and practice and dedication to be able to do the moves that are in this. Now Capoeira has a lot of those moves but are in use for more than just show.

I would learn it after knowing I have a solid foundation as a pure Martial Artist. Taking this first and foremost I couldn't do. I would only learn flash but with no substance.

Now you guys got my mind working, I'm wondering how many of those they showed on Discovery and those who do XMA are good martial artist? hmmmm....

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Oh on a side note. I never been to any real big tournaments. Is it that bad in forms to the point a nice traditional with some flash kata won't beat an all XMA kata?

If so that's garbage and my goal is to go to an US Open and do traditional with some flash using my athletic ability and beat a straight XMA kata.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

If so that's garbage and my goal is to go to an US Open and do traditional with some flash using my athletic ability and beat a straight XMA kata.

Ha. I wish.

Unfortunatly they have different divisions for different forms. Traditional, Open, Freestyle, Xtreme. You could do a Traditional Form in the Xtreme division, but you'd lose, because they judge specifically on that...extremity.

My best wishes to you if you try though!

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.