• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm in a McDojang because it cause 50 dollars for testing. If the quality of the teaching is good, I would not mind paying 65 dollars a month but its like rotten milk pour overed horse dung. One important lesson I learned from taking TKD at that school, never sign a one year contract.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

:bdaybiggrin:

I think the main complaint that many dedicated martial artists have with many schools is that there are too many black belts being given to those who don't diserve them.

I got my BB in TKD after about 5 years. I trained in a garage! And I was taught way differently than those in the dojang where I tested for BB. I was let down when the test was over. I had a harder green belt test...SERIOUSLY. But, one thing to take into consideration. BB means different things to different people. I know that to me, it meant being a complete martial artist...Not a master of all things, but fully ready to be taught the finer points. I wouldn't trade my garage training for anything.

When I started actually getting involved in a commercial studio, I found that many schools are too concerned about making the art accessible for everyone. But most people can not think LONG TERM. It takes time and a lot of dedication to actually get the benefits from martial arts training. Sure, you can become more flexible and stay in shape. But, too many parents use the dojang/dojo as a paid babysitter...and it's no different than the Baseball or Football parents who push their kids too hard/ride the coach...and sometimes the parents get their way...

I guess the thing is...if you see too many BB and not enough MARTIAL ARTISTS...find a new school...

:smile:

Aaron

Second Degree Black Belt

Member: Kokon Ryu Bujutsu Renmei,

Valadez Kenpo Association *Illinois State Representative*, Universal Taekwondo Association, Martial Arts Weapons Association, International Sung-ja do Association.

• 3 weeks later...
That just depends on how often you go to your class and when testing periods our. My school test every 2 months. Average if you pick up on your forums quickly and test at every testing period, about 2 years!

The mind is more powerful than the fist!

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

Sounds like you might want to rethink the school you attend. As a blackbelt my job is not to punish students but to teach them.

Unless I feel that a student is very much in the wrong or has shown disrespect I don't see the necessity for such punishment. Personally I prefer to warn a person about their behavior and the speak with tem privately if it continues. But if you are truly happy with your school oterwise maybe you should speak with some of the blackbelts who have such a fondness for push-ups.

:angel:

Emily

You either make dust or you eat dust.

• 2 weeks later...

dont whige!! ...it takes an abslute minimum of 14 years to get our black belts!!! ill be 73 by the time i get mine!!

yeah ur club sounds dodgy! we all get on really well at our club.....there is that respect payed both weays in our club...too student and sensai!

pushups suk...but haha ive only done 15 in like 4 years... we only get them if we talk heaps !! for me thats always though!! :kiss: :razz:

boo!

Hiya all.

Lemme know what you think of this.

I take TKD. My school tests roughly every two months. They say it takes about 3 years to reach BB in this school. I've been there only 4 months and I'll be a green belt at the end of May. Maybe because of my previous training??? That's 5 grades in 5 months (white belt, white yellow strip, yellow belt, yellow with green stripe, green belt, ect.). But they say for someone with out experience tests roughly every three months ... for new belt, not grade. Grading (stripes) are done whenever someone is ready, not at test times. Tests (for new belt) are scheduled every two months.

I heard the black belt tests are tough. The master instructor is REALLY picky about technique. And someone (one of my black belt friends) said that you can't even hesitate while doing a form or you fail. When you break, you have to break on the first shot or fail. When you do self defence, if you don't get out of a hold or defend properly, you fail. But it's not this rough for regular belt tests.

But, on the flip side, if you want to be an instrutor (they have a course that specially made for people who wanna be instructors), you can get your 2nd dan in 3 years. But it also costs a pretty penny for the course, so very few people sign up for it. 3 outta 50 (adults) of green belts and under signed up. I donno about the others (blue belts and above) because I'm not in that class (advanced) yet.

Sorry if I confused you. I tried to explain everything in a short post. Sorry all. Needless to say, I'M confused (about my schools testing stuff) lol.

Laurie S.

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-04-10 08:13 ]

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...
As for pushups, we do a lot of them. I study Kuk Sool Won. Most of us are at Kuk Sool because we want to be absolutely the best we can be, so they're not really punishment. We'll get 10 for not saying "sir" or not giving a kiap on a kick or punch, but no one grumbles about them.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

• 3 months later...
Remember a Dojang is first and foremost a buisness. :bawling:

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!