• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How come some people who get there black belts in 2 or 3 year turn out to be not so good. My tkd teacher told me that in some studios, if a student pays a lot of money, they'll probably get their black belts first even if barely keep their toes down on a side kick! Also another thing- at our studio, a few students are obsessed in punishing lower ranks with many many push-ups. Everyone gets along but honestly! I thought it was the way of hand and foot, not the way of push-ups! Is that how it is at your tae kwon do studios? Does everyone get along? Also, how long would it take the average student to get a black belt?

:spitlaugh:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tekken,

Your 1st concern is the typical McDojang unfortunately. Do not let this put you off your training tho, there are alternatives....find another school if you are not happy!

As far as pushups....we have had to do them, but the only person EVER to make us was the grandmaster and then it was only 10. I think our worst "punishment" is doing something over and over, like during kicking, turning, and other drills.

We test quarterly at our school(4 times a year) and by invitation of the instructor only. He will not ask you to test if he feels you are not ready and we have like pre tests to ensure this. Our testing is done by the owner of the school and the grand master comes from Corpus Christi. I dont think anyone would want to embarrass themself infront of them and family and friends. You can always turn down a testing opportunity if you dont feel ready! It takes the average person 3-3.5 years to reach BB if you test every time.

Good Luck in your training quests

:wave:

If you think you can't, then you must. If you must, you will.

• 2 weeks later...

We take 4 and a half to five years to get blackbelt, but if you are under 15, you get a junior black belt. I am 14, and I'll probably be sixteen whe i get black belt.

And I take classes with people around ages 10-15, so only the adult running the class can make us do push ups. But, I am a junior instructor, so I help out at classes where the ranks are lower than mine, so I can make little kids do them, but that's only if they do something really wrong, like hitting beyond the limit someone when we are doing one step defense or something. But anyway, our class does do a lot of pushups...you can't have too much of a good thing :smile:.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I reached BB in TKD in like 2 years or so... I think we tested every two months... I wasn't at a very good TKD school, or atleast i dont think it was. Everything was the traditional hard style and we NEVER and i mean NEVER did a SINGLE self-defense technique. All we ever worked on were punches, kicks, punch combos, kick combos, punch-kick combos, and forms. We mainly focused on the high-kick combos. We also did some sparring techniques and such. The biggest thing i remember about when i took TKD was the INSANE kick combos, especially the high-kick combos. I still remember and use some of those combos in tournament situations.

Although, I never have thought i deserved my black belt... I felt it was entirely too easy to get... To get my BB all i had to do was break some boards one-inch punch style... break some boards with a dragon kick over three crouched men (which was incredibly easy, by the way). Then we did a sparring test where we would spar somone who was already a black belt... and I ended having to spar with some wiery little guy. He was a BB, yet he sucked and I have alway been good at sparring, so i kicked the hell outta him.

As for push-ups... we rarely did them... we had other things we did for punishment... ie - single leg balanced squats... christ those can get hard... we would also sometimes have to sit in the horse stance for an hour... that was no fun whatsoever... whenever someone was punished with that, they would stand up after their time was up then fall over because their legs would completely give out... then you fight poorly the rest of the time because your legs were numb and shaking like crazy...

I also remember doing LOTS of stretching where if we (the students) couldnt get low enough our master would push us down until it almost got to the point of us nearly tearing our muscles...

Well... that is al i can think of right now...

-Gor

Student- Okinawan Goju-Ryu: Miyagi Style

Thanks everyone for your posts!!! Sorry if it seemed like I didn't like my tae kwon do studio, because I do. Hey Joecooke007, i know what you mean. I know this girl who got her black belt in karate in 7 years. And Gorgoth, whoa... your tkd school must be really tough if they make you guys stay in a horse stance for a whole hour. That would take up a whole taekwondo class where I go to. Usually, we only stay 5 minutes in a horse stance. Keep on posting all! :razz:

Oh... I'm not in TKD any more... The punishment stuffs I was talking about was in Okinawan Goju-Ryu... I quit TKD a few years ago because I moved and the local TKD Studio wouldn't acknowledge my black belt... they were gonna make me start all over from white belt... So I stopped going to TKD and took up Goju-Ryu... I like it a lot more than I liked TKD... My Goju-Ryu Sensei is a lot more practical than TKD... We actually learn self-defense techniques and I feel that I am benefitting from Goju-Ryu a lot more than I was from TKD... Although, I'm sure my TKD studio was just a crappy one... In fact... I'm quite sure that it was... in the time that i was there (about 3 years) I think I had over 5 different sensei's... which I hated...

Thats all I can think of at the moment...

-Gor

Student- Okinawan Goju-Ryu: Miyagi Style

even though some poeple have black belts i does not always mean they are good fighters

or they have a supirior skill. its only a belt.

iv been told that the grand masters have said that it takes 1000 days to reach a good understanding of an art and 10,000 days to master and art the figure could be a little off though.