• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Want to try something new

Lyds

hey,

I'm a black belt in Sotokan karate. I have been involved in this martial art for about 13 years now and am ready for a little bit of a change. I would like to stay in the hard style for sure but other than that Im open to sugestions and opinions. I would just like to know more about other styles. If you have a sugestion please share.

Lyds

My name is Lydia and I am a Sr. Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I have also done many other types of martial arts. I enjoy trying new things. I like just grabbing a book and learning from it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try some Okinawan Shorin Ryu as it is pretty soft. Or maybe you can try some jujutsu or maybe Tai Chi? I think adding some softness can only help.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I've never experienced it, but from reading this forum, it sure sound like MT is pretty intense.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I think the best question to ask you is this. What do you have available in your area? I mean, what good does it do for us to suggest different systems, if they aren't available in your area?

If you live in Calgary for example, you probably have access to quite a few different choices. But if you live in Medicine Hat, your choices would be more limited...see what I mean?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It might not be about Leaving - I never left my club but I train in other things.

IMHO - Ju Jitsu would be good to try. U have a great striking background but I'm guessing your grappling is limited - That is what I found aftyer about 9 or 10 years of Shukoki Karate. Ju Jitsu is an excellent compliment to Karate.

I'd say to choose something that will complement your Shotokan training and enhance it. Aikido or JuJitsu would be a good choice, as would a weapons art if your club doesn't focus on weapons.

Cross-training in another art that is very similar to Shotokan (such as TaeKwonDo) wouldn't be as effective at rounding out your martial arts 'career' as would cross training in a style with a different emphasis.

Perhaps before you make a firm decision on what other art to train in, you may wish to have a look at what arts are available in your area and try out a few lessons (more than one lesson) in each.

Good luck! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Greatest thing about shotokan is the fact it is so basic but at the same time so deep that it allows you to move to other styles and apply them to your shotokan background. I have done Shotokan for 11 years in that time I have played with Hapikido, Jujitsu, and other styles but I can always relate it to my shotokan base and have been able to find how that is part of my style that I did not know about. Good luck the one thing I have came to realize over the years is the answer for new moves is in my stlye I just got to rethink some traditional applications and moves.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."