• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado-Ryu - Need some opinions/info on this style

Locutus

Hi,

I have the opportunity to study Wado-Ryu at my local YMCA in Toronto, Canada. I would like to know some of your opinions on Wado and whether Wado may be similar to Goju.

The Instructor at the YMCA is ALEX WAITH (6th Dan). Has anyone ever trained or heard of this Instructor? I am hoping that the YMCA lessons will not be like a McDojo. I am already working out at the YMCA, so I figured I should try Wado, as it is included in the membership.

I have some previous experience (orange belt) in Goju-Ryu, but it has been about 9 years since I’ve been in a dojo. I am a little scared to get back into a dojo. I do not remember too many katas, and I just know basic kihon. I imagine that my kumite skills are pretty bad as well. I’ve gained about 30 pounds since then and I am not all that flexable these days. I am hoping that I will be able to improve in the next few months particularly with conditioning and flexabilty.

I have read that there are some jui-jitsu elements in Wado which I find intriguing. Does wado use a lot of jui-jitsu, or is it hidden? I don’t want to start a giant flame war, but is it also true that Wado and Shotokan are somewhat related?

I am looking forward to hearing from some of the “Wado people” and other Karateka in this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Locutus.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a way that you can sit in some of the classes and watch?

I happened to find a Wado class at a college that I'm taking a course at. I went out of my class room to find the ATM and I heard "Ich, Ni, San..." and I knew it had to be some sort of martial arts class. So I have been sitting in from time to time to watch it.

Seems like they do a lot of strikes, using their fists, open hands, and kicks. They seem to do a lot of attacking and counter attacking drills as well.

The one thing I wasn't impressed with though, was that it seemed there high level belts (brown) were somewhat sloppy, even in the way they dressed. A lot of them had their belts tied with one end being super long and one end being short, and their technique didn't seem all there. I also noticed that after investigating further, there sure are a lot of 5th and 6th dans, which I find odd considering in the style I train in, 5th and 6th dan is preety rare and usually the people who are this rank are a lot older because they have been training for 30-40 years. I'm not sure if this just happend to be the class that I watched or if it's consistant throughout.

So I guess after all of that, the only thing I can recommend is sitting in a class, or even participating if they allow it.

Dijita,

I am definitely going to sit in or even try a class before I decide. I think there are bad dojos in every system. Kyokushin is a style that I was always interested in, but I cannot find dojo close to my home and work.

Thanks again for your response.

Cheers,

Locutus

The web page for that club is

https://www.wadoryu.ca

Go and see a practice, they start off with just a general warmup, then a fromal bow in, followed by basics, and combinations up and down the gym floor. Usually this lasts about 30 minute-45 minutes, then they break off into groups, and work ippon kumite, Kata, and combinations...then sometimes at the end of class, it is free form sparring with a partner. switching partners every 2-3 minutes.

Just an update. I tried the class and found it be very good. I decided to join. Wado is quite a bit different than the Goju I studied. I like the how wado moves and how they effortlessly deflect attacks. The instructor was very knowledgable and patient. We did a lot of basics and sparring tonight. I am hoping to learn a kata at the next class.