• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Percentage Make it to Black Belt?

I have to agree with WW, and some others. The pressure of a school to award them, has it to chage a higher test fee. Perhaps a final compensation knowing that the student has a high perecentage of dropping? Some say that the high test fee fo BB is due to the length and material of the test though.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in percents really. It all depends on the person. If you have the desire, you will acheive your goal, otherwise you can forget about it. You can't really b.s your way to your blackbelt. In my class there are three black belts, including my sensei. And you can see why they made it.

But you can also look around and see lower belts who will not make it. Me, I'm only a yellow belt right now, but i KNOW i will make it, because I DO have the desire, I WANT it. I never give less than 110% and thats all that matters I think, do you have the desire?

.: No matter what happens you must have faith in yourself, or no one else will ever have faith in you. If you have the desire, you can do anything :. (A quote from my sensei)

I have seen may 2-3 hundred new students ... maybe 4-5 got to higher belts ... and none to shodan, yet.

There are many people who come and go. Maybe it's better to accept you don't have anything with the style and be honest with yourself :) I think MA training is hard enough and if you don't some to the class with all your heart and soul, you'd be miserable. I count the hours to the next training. If I wouldn ... I'd find something else I love. My dedication and love for the style have helped me go through the hard times and these are especially the first months, when you are almost out of the world :) I wanted to give up then. I did it and got back. When I came back I was the same uncoordinated and weak student (the first time I quit after 3 moths because I had changed college). The second time was rough too. I wanted to leave again. I loved karate but I knew I was hopeless. Still I loved (still love) my instructors who understood and helped me. I'm forever greateful to them for helping become aware of my true potential. I'm still struggling with my techniques and back problems, but I know they are there for me, as I am for my coleagues that begin the journey.

The numbers are indeed shocking. There are too few people who become shodans. And as you said, some just don't train for the belt. Some don't cope with the training and leave. We should respect their courage :)

Sorry for the rant ... I thought I'd share this with you :karate:

The numbers are shocking. People come and go because they get into and leave MA for various reasons. Some, perhaps:

1.) Peer pressure/"new" fad

2.) Self-defense

3.) Coveted Black Belt

4.) Mthylogical mislead

5.) Residential Relocation

6.) Bored/de-motivated/lost interest

7.) Lack of time/Scedule