• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Methinks MartialMan posted in the wrong thread. :)

Those poor turtles. Ah, well, eagle's gotta eat, too.

And yeah, octopi are cool, but you know what else are cool? Karate chimps! Yeah, I know, you've prolly all seen that before, but it's new to me, and I just thought it was hilarious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MartialMan and Drunken Monkey, you two really have a way of losing peace and junking up a forum with elitist irrelevance. Congradulations on making pointless posts.

And so this post doesn't become useless as well, I'll add my two cents.

I think most styles that have passed the test have time have been proven effective again and again. There may be a style more effective than another, but what really determines a fight is your mental condition, your confidence. Your martial arts skill is just a bonus.

Also skill effectiveness alone depends on a good teacher. I can say that my Kung Fu school is much more effective in teaching then my old TKD dojang. Our middle ranks can compare to their black belts.

Also, the more you train, the more effective you'll be. So train hard.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

... you two really have a way of losing peace and junking up a forum with elitist irrelevance. Congradulations on making pointless posts.

Wow. I didn't realize posting a multitude of innane questions elevated one to the status of elite.

I'll have to remember that the next time i want to give the impression i'm somehow too overqualified to actually answer questions. :brow:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

MenteReligeuse,

To go back to the thread, kung fu is effective in street fights if you are training in the right school with the right instructor and of course if you put the right effort and time into it. Obviously there are different styles with different emphasis which gives them distinct flavours and characters; weakness and strenghs and so on.

In most styles of kung fu though, for you to be able to defend yourself, you may need a lot more than six months of training. However, the wait will be well worth your while.

An important point to remember is that all of these styles were created as MARTIAL arts for FIGHTING. And if you hear someone say that kung fu does not work in a real fight it only proves that there are many people - "experts" included - who do not understand anything about kung fu.

KFM

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

• 3 weeks later...

not knocking any other kung fu but im in a kung fu san soo class and we are a contact kung fu. also we train to attack from a relaxed stance hands to the side no threating movements untill contact also san soo is one the most brutal of all arts. we use the whole body to destroy anyone who trys to hurt us. all movements dont have any uncomfortable stances and you keep attacking even when the attacker is on the ground. i have taken mauy thai and jujitsu there are very simular takedowns, joint locks, escapes strikes, in san soo. if you have ever watched u.f.c thats real combat and what do you see alot of in it jujitsu and mauy thai. but san soo completes the links to real fighting on the street you have even more of an arsanal of strikes. also when we block we hit nerves and muscles in the arm to try and stop them from hitting or use with that limb agian. we break down a attacker with his own attacks. i also im very lucky to study this art contact very few schools do it cause of the amount of damage you can get. we also train to attack when the attacker is not telegraphing his movements we strike in way it would be hard to stop when that happens. try kung fu san soo if you get a chance its great

Yeah I agree with you, San Shou is really a great full contact art but some how it is still in complete. San Shou still has a lot of weakness when fighting middle and close range while Muay Thai has no weakness in any range (well maybe on the ground). I think San Shou still has a long way to go before it can put itself on the same standard as Muay Thai.

san soo and san shou are not the same...

muay thai has weaknesses in the long range. what are the most common kicks you see? round and teep. you don't really any of the others used, even though they are present. This constitutes a weakness. San shou has strong use of the side kick, which is much harder to capitalize on than both the roundhouse and teep.

Also, traditionally, thai boxers have weak hands. the strength of muay thai is in the infighting - knees and elbows. The roundhouse is devastating. the hands have never been much. In recent years, thai boxers have compensated by adding boxing training.

while on the topic of boxing training, there is another weakness in pure muay thai - footwork - or the lack of it. Ever watch a traditional thai boxer? They don't move much. They are so tough that they don't both evading blows. they parry, block, absorb, etc. but rarely do they move, bob/weave, etc. The bobbing/weaving and boxing footwork comes from thai boxers adding boxing training to their programs.