• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree, if I get what you're saying. In my practicing of Jiu-Jitsu I honestly found the workout to be lacking, and the entire style too relaxed for my liking. I think people tend to enjoy it because it's quick to pick up, and yes, less effort. I'm not saying it's not effective, I just don't believe it's right for me.

if you found it to be lacking, I question who you trained under...

As for the Chinese "level/ranking" (is there a correct name? If so, please let me know here or in PM) system - you gain "rank" as you gain actual experience. To me this seems a lot more practical than rushing (which I have seen some do) just to get to their next belt. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but to me, I believe martial arts to be about a lot more than what belt I am or "at what belt am I considered good" mentality.

jiu jitsu is the complete opposite of rushing. People train 7-8 years or more to get a black belt. In some cases, longer. Compare that to most TMA schools where you can get it in 2-4 years... In addition, they promote based on ability. For example, a white belt will not even be considered for blue until he can beat the other blue belts at least some of the time and keep up with them all of the time.

An example: We have a Sensei in our Jiu-Jitsu class who is 17-18. That's fine, except for the fact that he uses his skill to push around people at his highschool, on the street and even in the dojo. Within the dojo you need to respect him because he's a "black belt", but he's a total * BECAUSE he's a black belt. He has power and he feels he needs to constantly exercise that. In Kung Fu, however, this is unlikely due to the fact it takes roughly 17 years to become a Sifu..you generally grow up before you reach that stage.

a 17 year old black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu? I call *. What's his name? japanese, maybe, but not brazilian. you were scammed. However, I know several TMA guys who fall into the same category you mentioned above - not mature enough for the rank they hold.

Just some experiences I thought I'd share, I know it's not like this everywhere. To me, these are reasons why Kung Fu is more effective.

you still haven't made a case for effectiveness, only provided reasons why you didn't like whatever that was that you trained in.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see, thanks for the information.

By the way what's the difference between San Shou and San Soo?

san soo is a style (may or may not actually be kung fu - people debate over it, but that's a different issue)

san shou is a format - a ruleset for fighting, similar to muay thai. san shou rules allow usage of punches, kicks, knees and throws.

if you found it to be lacking, I question who you trained under...

I didn't find the content lacking, the art just didn't seem to peak my interest as another art did. I certainly agree that BJJ and JJ are effective, as are a lot of other martial arts.

jiu jitsu is the complete opposite of rushing. People train 7-8 years or more to get a black belt. In some cases, longer. Compare that to most TMA schools where you can get it in 2-4 years... In addition, they promote based on ability. For example, a white belt will not even be considered for blue until he can beat the other blue belts at least some of the time and keep up with them all of the time.

I wasn't stating that all martial arts are rushed, but I appreciate your comment on how Jiu-Jitsu tends to refrain from that. Personally, I find Jiu-Jitsu to be extremely effective in that aspect, and you cannot be "promoted" until you have the ability to actually preform against a few of the Sensei's. In our dojo (I'm not sure if it's the same for all) when you're going for your blue belt (I believe, possibly higher) the sensei's take you to a secluded room and physically test you - you being unable to strike back. They aren't there to beat the shizzle out of you, but they're obviously looking for a good defense against whatever it is that they throw. In that aspect I praise Jiu-Jitsu.

a 17 year old black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu? I call *. What's his name? japanese, maybe, but not brazilian. you were scammed. However, I know several TMA guys who fall into the same category you mentioned above - not mature enough for the rank they hold.

You're correct, he is a black belt in Japanese Jujitsu. Sorry for any confusion, I should have minded the spelling.

you still haven't made a case for effectiveness, only provided reasons why you didn't like whatever that was that you trained in.

Those were reasons why to me personally I found Kung Fu to be more effective as an entire learning process. I'm not stating that the art itself is more effective than another, each have their pros and cons. I guess it all comes down to preference and interest. I know I am much more interested in Chinese culture rather than Japanese culture.

Because Kung Fu is the way it is, training, skill etc. it would make me more effective than say training in Jiu-Jitsu. I'm totally into Kung Fu and it's ways, however if I had the same drive for JJ or BJJ I believe it would be equally as effective for me, which is what martial arts comes down to.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

i know all martial arts have simular strikes my comment was to someone who mauy thati was not effedtive at long ranges.

I didn't say it's not effective at long range - I said it has weaknesses in the long range, in response to someone mentioned that san shou (not san soo) wasn't as strong as muay thai. muay thai is effective from the long range, but the techniques and strategy used there are limited. If you want to see the true strength of a thai boxer, you need to watch him in close range and in the clinch, not long range.

as for modern martial art i think alot of kung fu and karate styles cant compete with the submission fighters its been proven so i hope you dont right back anything on the comment.

Sorry dude, gotta write something back. That's not an issue of style, it's an issue of training method. Sport styles can produce an effective fighter faster - no question about it. However, If you take a kung fu stylist, train him in a manner similar to a thai boxer and put him in the ring, he'd do fine. Instead of doing forms, working weapons, doing point sparring, chi gung, etc. I would have them driling singular techniques from their forms, agains an opponent who is resisting, have them hitting a bag, sparring and doing pad work. Spend more time on fighting and fight strategy and less time on everything else.

please dont pick my threads apart anymore im just stating a opinion i dont need you to pick my thread this is not a right or wrong forum.

I wasn't tearing your post apart (a thread is a topic, your contribution is a post :) ) I was replying to someone else - I guess my reply happened to cross over to something you were talking about. Regardless, this is the internet. If you can't handle people picking at your thoughts, you probably shouldn't be posting...

Because Kung Fu is the way it is, training, skill etc. it would make me more effective than say training in Jiu-Jitsu.

Out of curiosity, why do you think so?

I'm totally into Kung Fu and it's ways, however if I had the same drive for JJ or BJJ I believe it would be equally as effective for me, which is what martial arts comes down to.

agreed.

I may have missed it somewhere, but what style do you train in now?

Out of curiosity, why do you think so?

Honestly, I believe that it's simply the culture and history surrounding the Kung Fu club I'm in. It could possibly be the closeness that I have to the Sifu as well. Other than that..I'm not sure why, as stupid as it sounds. :P Just one of those preference things.

I may have missed it somewhere, but what style do you train in now?

I train in the Hung Gar style of Kung Fu regularly, and in Japanese Jujitsu roughly once a week. :)

Edited by Noob

So instead of saying effective, say preferred.

That may have been much more clear, I agree. However in addition to being my preferered art there are also aspects that make it more effective to me.

Sorry for any confusion guys, I think it's all cleared up now anyway. :)

• 5 weeks later...

basic forum question: is kung fu effective?

in 1995 i crushed the skull of African Arts Founder James MeClanehan with a roundhouse punch that forensic measurements indicated yielded 527 pounds of force or 670 foot-pounds.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!