• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Without dissing muay thai and any other fine MMAs, I think they are most popular because they are simpler and use a more direct approach. People hate making efforts nowadays (no, I did not just say MT takes less effort, im talking about a different kind of effort).

I agree, if I get what you're saying. In my practicing of Jiu-Jitsu I honestly found the workout to be lacking, and the entire style too relaxed for my liking. I think people tend to enjoy it because it's quick to pick up, and yes, less effort. I'm not saying it's not effective, I just don't believe it's right for me.

As for the Chinese "level/ranking" (is there a correct name? If so, please let me know here or in PM) system - you gain "rank" as you gain actual experience. To me this seems a lot more practical than rushing (which I have seen some do) just to get to their next belt. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but to me, I believe martial arts to be about a lot more than what belt I am or "at what belt am I considered good" mentality.

An example: We have a Sensei in our Jiu-Jitsu class who is 17-18. That's fine, except for the fact that he uses his skill to push around people at his highschool, on the street and even in the dojo. Within the dojo you need to respect him because he's a "black belt", but he's a total * BECAUSE he's a black belt. He has power and he feels he needs to constantly exercise that. In Kung Fu, however, this is unlikely due to the fact it takes roughly 17 years to become a Sifu..you generally grow up before you reach that stage.

Just some experiences I thought I'd share, I know it's not like this everywhere. To me, these are reasons why Kung Fu is more effective.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forms help to develop power and balance. They are a good form of exercise, both internal and external. You can feel the external benefits while you move through a form, however, at the same time the twisting motion is massaging all your internal organs, that this internal massage would bring all of your internal organs up to 100 percent efficiency, and was therefore very important to your overall good health. master jimmy woo said this

did you study san soo in so was it contact if not you have no idea what you talking about im in a contact school. and dont bullcrap me cause there very few contact training schools in san soo. i think you have alot of knowledge in martial arts but in this case your wrong. you cant understand what froms do if you dont listen to the master who teaches them.

ive never donr that kung fu, whatever it is. but i did do a different one. and, as with most styles of that type, i was not at all impressed with the abilities taught, and would not recommend it to anyone wanting to learn to fight.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Without dissing muay thai and any other fine MMAs, I think they are most popular because they are simpler and use a more direct approach. People hate making efforts nowadays (no, I did not just say MT takes less effort, im talking about a different kind of effort).

I agree, if I get what you're saying. In my practicing of Jiu-Jitsu I honestly found the workout to be lacking, and the entire style too relaxed for my liking. I think people tend to enjoy it because it's quick to pick up, and yes, less effort. I'm not saying it's not effective, I just don't believe it's right for me.

Depending on "youthful exuberance" that most feel that a harder-sweatier workout accomplishes more.

As for the Chinese "level/ranking" (is there a correct name? If so, please let me know here or in PM) system - you gain "rank" as you gain actual experience. To me this seems a lot more practical than rushing (which I have seen some do) just to get to their next belt. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but to me, I believe martial arts to be about a lot more than what belt I am or "at what belt am I considered good" mentality.

The CMA Kuens that I had studied did not have any ranking per a material object. Your level was designated per each skill or accomplishmnet achieved. However, a hierarchy per that of a "family" structure was aparent.

An example: We have a Sensei in our Jiu-Jitsu class who is 17-18. That's fine, except for the fact that he uses his skill to push around people at his highschool, on the street and even in the dojo. Within the dojo you need to respect him because he's a "black belt", but he's a total * BECAUSE he's a black belt. He has power and he feels he needs to constantly exercise that. In Kung Fu, however, this is unlikely due to the fact it takes roughly 17 years to become a Sifu..you generally grow up before you reach that stage.

This is why, in many cases, that such a rank not be awarded to such ages where maturity and responsibility have not been developed.

Just some experiences I thought I'd share, I know it's not like this everywhere. To me, these are reasons why Kung Fu is more effective.

It is not the art that is or is not effective, but the teacher and its practitioners.

age/years has no baring on whether or not you are a 'si-fu'

you don't suddenly become a si-fu after x amount of years.

being a si-fu is about taking on a student.

(or someone wants to be your student).

not all top class kung fu guys have students.

technically, these guys who don't teach (professionally) aren't a si-fu cos they have no students.

it is also the case that not all who teach are si-fu cos they consider themselves to be teaching for their own si-fu.

if i were to teach you wing chun, i would say that i was teaching you kinda on behalf of my si-fu.

i would also say that i wasn't training you properly and that you'd have to go to my si-fu to learn more.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."