• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, I have been practicing Mitsun Lohan kung-fu for a few months now.

I have been on a couple MA boards and everywhere I seem to see that alot of ppl doubt kung-fu's efficiency in a real, dirty, street fight. Everyone all seems to vouch for bjj stylists and what not, saying kf is all about pretty forms and stuff.

Now I wonder, have any of you used ur kf to get out of fights?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have been practicing Mitsun Lohan kung-fu for a few months now.

I have been on a couple MA boards and everywhere I seem to see that alot of ppl doubt kung-fu's efficiency in a real, dirty, street fight. Everyone all seems to vouch for bjj stylists and what not, saying kf is all about pretty forms and stuff.

Now I wonder, have any of you used ur kf to get out of fights?

What, per translation/defintion, is Mitsun Lohan Kung Fu?

Not sure about the translation, but in mandarin it is My Jong Law Horn. The style is pretty new, but combines two old shaolin nothern styles (Mitsun and Lohan).

Can find history here : http://www.albertakungfu.ca/style/index.html

(I don't train it in alberta, but in Quebec)

Just about anystyle is going to have some good and some not so good techniques, but this is going to differ from person to person. What works for me might not work for you and that goes both ways. I believe alot of how realistic a style is, depends on the training methods of the school.

You said you have been training kung fu for a few months now. What you need to look at is, Do you think you will be able to defend yourself in 6 months time from the first day of training? You you say no then you might want to find another school, if you said yes or even I'm pretty sure then your on the right track.

GOOD LUCK

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I just recently started training in Hung Gar kung fu, and I really can't say enough about it. I prefer it over BJJ and JJ, mainly for the intense workout and the "Attack, attack, attack" mentality. I've still got tons to learn, but I can tell that things can only improve from the classes I've attented already.

I was also pleased in the fact that the BJJ instructor stated that the Kung Fu instructor could easily overtake him in less than 60 seconds in a real street fight. Maybe it's a time/experience thing - I don't know.

The BJJ instructor is a 2nd Dan in Jiu-Jitsu and Taekwondo. The Kung Fu instructor is 2nd Dan Jiu-Jitsu and a Seafoo in Kung Fu.

To each their own I guess.

Close Quarters Combat Tactics - Hope to see you there!

I just recently started training in Hung Gar kung fu, and I really can't say enough about it. I prefer it over BJJ and JJ, mainly for the intense workout and the "Attack, attack, attack" mentality. I've still got tons to learn, but I can tell that things can only improve from the classes I've attented already.

I was also pleased in the fact that the BJJ instructor stated that the Kung Fu instructor could easily overtake him in less than 60 seconds in a real street fight. Maybe it's a time/experience thing - I don't know.

The BJJ instructor is a 2nd Dan in Jiu-Jitsu and Taekwondo. The Kung Fu instructor is 2nd Dan Jiu-Jitsu and a Seafoo in Kung Fu.

To each their own I guess.

Hmmnnn....interesting

For all indications that I have, if your school has the correct training techniques and a "use it on the street" mentality then Kung Fu will work on the street.

On another note, I find it interesting how a lot of Kung Fu terms are spelt differently by different people. Our teachers title is spelt "SiFu". Also I have seen numerous spellings of the Tan/Tarn block. I not having a go at your spelling. I have seen people in my own school misspell the title of our head teacher.