• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What style do you study?

isshinryugurl

Does anyone here study isshin ryu, or shorinryu?

make'm cry or get disqualified!

Make'm cry or get disqualified.

The more you sweat in the dojo, the less you bleed on the streets.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which is your favorite,or which have you found to be the most effective?

I've only recently taken up the latter two. I find the Shorin Ryu to be most effective because it blends a hard and a soft approach, but mostly a soft approach. The iaido was merely out of curiousity. In addition, I like Shorin Ryu because in my opinion, it does an excellent job of balancing striking and grappling and really focuses on proper body mechanics rather than pure strength.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

on friday, i helped out with a belt testing. all of the kids i had for self defence (4) were leaning, so i took them on the ground. my sensei says almost 95% of all fights end up on the ground. however, i study isshin ryu, and we do no grappling. what do you think he is trying to tell me?

Do you mean grappling on the ground or grappling in general?

We don't necessarily always do grappling starting on the ground (we do sometimes), but we usually start standing and take it from there.

Besides, any grappling techniques you learn from standing up can be modified to fit a ground setting. It won't be the same, but the principles should be. It doesn't hurt to train on the ground (you seem to do this to some degree anyway), but it doesn't need to be the number one focus, in my opinion.

I prefer to keep it standing (or at least me standing and the opponent disabled or otherwise on the ground) because if you ever end up in a fight against more than one person, you don't want to be on the ground.

Okay, so that rambled, but oh well.

i ment ground grappling. all of the kids were ages 7-9, and i don't think any of them could get away in a real life situation. i didn't let go untill they made me, but one boy was fighting for over 15 minutes on the ground. by that time, that boy would be abducted or something. do you think it is likely that the adverage kid could get away from an attacker? nerve strikes would help, but it that's all you have, i think you are in a tough situation.

Unless a kid is a martial arts genius (and I really do mean a prodigy), it is probably very difficult for a kid to get away from a true grab without real regard for the kid. That being said, techniques are supposed to rely more on skill rather than strength, so I suppose if a kid was trained properly and had the necessary fine motor control, then maybe. But as for the average kid, no. That is why I think that kids should not be black belts. All thoughts on just the belt system aside, I think that anyone with a black belt should be able to readily defeat a full grown man.

I agree. I recently heard of a dojo that was sued because a kid was abducted. The kid was only five or six.

Do you know any bunki for crane stance? My instructor wants me to figure it out for our kata. I know there is something to do with energy transfers, but other than that, I’m lost.

Internet sites rarely have any true information on them that would actually work. I compete in tournaments, and some people have kata with flying kicks and cartwheels. This is a karate travesty! Any ideas?

This probably should go in the other topic...but let me ask you a question first.

Do you understand how the energy flows in the naihanchi kata? More specifically, when you rapidly bring the foot in from one side and back down (you can see this as an inward kick, block, whatever)? If so, it'll make the discussion a little easier.